Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crjdude

Does anyone have any idea how many applications SWA has on
file of people who are typed that are to be interviewed?
That is when the pool is drained of course.
Got a feeling it's gonna be a pretty long wait.
Thanks.

It may not be as long as you think.

All the rumors (and I stress rumors) have been saying 180 for 2003 and as many as 600 in 2004. We have been told there are around 360 in the pool. So... If the rumor numbers are close, then the pool will be cleaned out sometime in 2004 and there would need to be an additional 420 people from somewhere to fill the available slots. Luv lines shows that only about 20-25% of people that interview get the Job. So take 420*4 (being conservative) and you get 1680 interviews. That is a lot of chances for a lot of people. I can't believe that 1600+ people have the type!!! So if you get one you have a prety good chance of getting a shot sometime in 2004. Hang in there!!!

OAK!

The view represented in this paragraph is purely speculation and is for entertainment purposes only. This post has no cash value. Some restrictions apply. New York residents add 7% sales tax.

Thousands

There are probably thousands of qualified applicants waiting.

Another thing to think about. If there are 360 in the pool, how many will accept jobs when SWA calls to make the offer.

Some folks who were swimming probably got picked up by JetBlue, FedEx or maybe a fractional. Not all of those people will run to SWA after a lengthy wait? There are folks who've been in the pool for 18 months + during that time lots of things could happen. Of those 360 in the pool there is a percentage that will not be available to SWA when they call. It's probably a pretty small number (who knows??? 10-15%), but it means the pool drains a few months sooner. It's good news for those who are waiting for the interview.

Do you really think it's 1 out of 4 interviewed gets hired?

I don't know the exact numbers but 1 out of 4 is pretty accurate. However, they may hire 6 people in one interview class and 1 person in another. They do not go by quotas per interview class.

I think you are right on about some people not accepting a class when it is offered to them and I also agree the number who do not accept will be small; however, if (when) alot of the reservists are called up for Desert Storm II, many people may not be able to accept a class even if they want too. If this does happen, some in the pool will attend class before they expect it.

Bake

I heard 3800 applications on file. 500 with type......not sure if its true

I applied in Jan 02 and typed in April 02. The last people interviewed were in March or so. LL told me I should be interviewed in the "first month or two" of the next round of interviews. I know there were a lot of people who used WIA funds for types, especially since the first part of this year Southwest was the only game going...But I don't have any inside info on what that number is.

When I got my type from Higher Power in July of this year, a SWA People Dept employee (name withheld on purpose) was asked a question about the percentage of folks who make it to the pool. The answer was simple....approximately half of those interviewed make it to the decision board, then again approximately half make it through the decision board and enter the pool. Although I'm a Georgia grad, that seems to be about 25%. ;)

25% may seem inaccurate for some interview groups, but reflective of their historical records. And, remember they don't use quotas. Maybe Chase can sit in on the next SWA visit to HPA and see if the question is asked again. I believe the official number of applications and those with types is "Secret NoForn", i.e. classified. I will not speculate on either.

I'll patiently wait and hope for the day SWA starts interviewing pilots again. Maybe one day, with God's grace, all of those who want to be a part of their team will get the chance to shine. In the meantime, I'd like to extend a wish for peace to all those in the pool, those hoping to join, and especially to those who have been furloughed.

Merry Christmas

Yahtz
2 Cor 4:16-18

Last edited:
intel33,

I am in about the same sittuation as you, applied in October 2001 and typed in March 2002. Do they call people for interviews based on date of application or date of type?

Who interviews first? Good question. My understanding is that it is based on a scoring system. PIC time, type rating, whether you have been an instructor/evaluator, etc. All of this is factored into one of those fancy math things and out pops the order of interviews.

I do not know any of this for a fact, but somebody, somewhere, sometime told me that his sister's boyfriends brother-in-law heard that this is the way it was done.

Bake

I would like to thank everyone for their replies.
Very informative and very encouraging.
See you in Dallas in a few years.
Fly safe.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back