Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyFlyFly

Registered Offender
Looking for opinions on a career move that might offer itself. Stay in light jets as a typed SIC and wait another 6 months for a PIC position, or move to a medium jet typed SIC position and wait a year for a PIC slot there? The only downside is a one year seat lock in the medium, so even if a light jet PIC slot comes open, I am stuck.

If it were me. I would take what ever option got me pic time first. A type rating without pic time is worthless unless you are going to swa or something like that.

Ask yourself this question though: In one year (you'll either be PIC in your current job, or out of seat lock and now PIC in this potential job) which airplane and company would you rather be at?

The situation you give isn't a bad one necessarily no matter which was you go. Do what you think will be best for you, and what airplane you'd like to be flying more.

If you've got 3000 hours, you're doin OK. Depends on where you want to be. How much does the new position pay? Is the schedule better? You'll be in the left seat in a year anyway, that's not bad. Another type rating, especially getting time in type, NEVER hurts. Is it a type rating that you'll want to use in the future? What is it?

Both are good options. Just look at the pay an QOL, and decide where you'd rather be. If they guarantee you left seat in a year, waiting a year isn't a big deal, especially if you don't know for sure that you're going to get PIC any sooner in the light jet.

leardrivr said:
If it were me. I would take what ever option got me pic time first. A type rating without pic time is worthless unless you are going to swa or something like that.
I disagree. A person looking to get into the lower levels of the upper half of the industry proves a lot by having a type rating endorsement on their certificate. For one thing, they prove that they can pass a simulator course. If the type is for a 135 or 121 check they prove that they can pass that too.

I agree however, that getting some ACTING PIC to go along with a type rating is better.

TIS

Fly,

As we talked about today, If you need 6 more months in the light to get PIC, and at the rate your mids fly, probably only 8 months to PIC in the mid. I would say it would be in your best interest to get the second type in the midsize. The extra pay for the 8 months vs. 6 will also come in handy. You would rather be PIC on the mid anyway. At least you will be able to stretch your legs...LOL

That type rating will be much more respected than the one you have for future resume's. Some companies want you over the 20,000 lb mark.

I see your point. However flying the sim and having real world experience are two completly differemt things. Especislly when you are dealing with international flight ops. It's great if you can fly a sim with a smooth hand and ace an ILS approach. But what good will that do you if you fly into the terrain at Bogata or Quito?
TIS said:
I disagree. A person looking to get into the lower levels of the upper half of the industry proves a lot by having a type rating endorsement on their certificate. For one thing, they prove that they can pass a simulator course. If the type is for a 135 or 121 check they prove that they can pass that too.

I agree however, that getting some ACTING PIC to go along with a type rating is better.

TIS

I would also go with the mid-sized A/C type. It will open more doors in the future. What are we talking about here ... a few extra months of PIC. Who cares. Look at the BIG PICTURE. The 2nd type will help more in the future and will give you options if you ever become unemployed.

Look at the average salaries of Citation guys vs Hawker guys ... BIG PICTURE :)

PS if it makes any difference I always went for the new type vs PIC. I made it my goal to become as marketable as possible ... so far so good. After my last type rating (3 weeks) I decided really do not want to go back to school unless it is for G something or DA-900/50.

leardrivr said:
I see your point. However flying the sim and having real world experience are two completly differemt things. Especislly when you are dealing with international flight ops. It's great if you can fly a sim with a smooth hand and ace an ILS approach. But what good will that do you if you fly into the terrain at Bogata or Quito?

I agree, but did he say anything about South America? I would rather have a typed SIC with me if that's where I were going anyway. At least I know that the guy's not thinking quite so much about flying the plane.

Besides, all I said was that a person with type ratings proves that they can achieve that much. In this day and age, with washouts being what they are at some airlines, that's saying something!

On the leading edge of a long-term aviation career, it's at least as important to prove that you're trainable as it is to demonstrate that you've learned from your experience. Thus, if one has an opportunity to earn credentials for the price of a one year seat lock - which probably isn't a bad idea anyway at only 3000 TT - I say go get the extra eye-candy for one's ticket. Real-world experience will come the way it comes best - when you're not the one in charge.

TIS

Thanks for the information. It is good to get some different viewpoints. I will let you know what happens.

Latest resources

Back