Wages for flying skydivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skippy22

I was curious if anyone out there had recent input on how much a skydiver pilot gets paid. Is it per load, per day, per person and how much. I have a job offer that gives $6 a load is this realistic or not. Thanks for your input.

Where I work, my contract calls for $5.00 per load (C182). A skydiver usually brings a complimentary burger and a Coke which I eat in the plane. Duty time is usually 12 hours per day in the summer.

On a good weekend, 20 - 25 loads total (12-15 hours). More fun that a person should be allowed to have flying. Where else can your "uniform" consist of a tie-dyed company shirt, baggy shorts, and sandals? PM me if you want more info.

Now, if I can just convince a regional that this is "valuable" time...

Six bucks is good. Most DZ's pay their pilots in jumps.

Then again, many jump pilots would prefer to be skydiving.

$6/ load is great, I used to get $4/ load back in 97 and I flew my ass off. It' was all about building time I get. But wearing Birks and cutoff shorts was a hell of a great perk. Have a blast c-bass.

Avbug,
Most jump pilots would prefer to be skydiving? I hope you are kidding. I would rather go down with the ship! I tried it a few times, as it was almost too cheap not to try, but I would much rather stay strapped in my seat, thank you. On the pay issue, you are lucky to get paid at all!! Take what they give you and be happy about it. Anyway, what choice do you have? Every once in awhile some jerk will come along and offer to fly them for free. Get you time and get out. Good luck to you.

When I flew the 170 at Snohomish back in the mid 80's the pilot got 25% of the take for the load. 12$ for each load of 4 to 10,000. 10-12 loads on a good weekend day and the pilot always drank for free when the day was over. Good times.......

I got $10/load back in '95 flying the Twin Otter. Fringe benefits included girls flashing in the cockpit and beers afterward if the drops were on target (incentive pay).
Fun job, non-stop flying sunrise to sunset.

I get $5 a load no matter how high the load or how many passes per load. Nobody makes money flying a 182. I'll second avbug. I'd rather be jumping than flying the 182. I've got to pay for the jumps somehow. As for going down with the ship...I'll leave that to salty sea captains...I'm OUTTA there!!! Hey, it's a paid jump! Schweeet.

Green Bay Approach, 1 minute to drop.

Last edited:
Time to ask for a raise!

Now, if I could just find a copy of my contract....

Jump plane, you have a FedEx heavy crossing over the DZ at 3,000. What ya going to do with them jumpers?

Latest resources

Back