Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

W.Times editorial: Obama secretly ends FFDO program?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the point many are trying to make here is that the true weakness in the system on 9/11 was the "common strategy" which the terrorist well knew and exploited. Who else on here watched the "Barney Fife" video on hijacking every year in recurrent? We were trained that hijacking was a big joke and it was a waste of time to discuss the subject every year. Just let them into the cockpit and lead them to believe that people outside the cockpit had control over the flight and where the airplane went. Then you face forward and have your throat cut. That is what happened on 9/11. That will never happen again. Kill everybody in the back, we don't care, but we are not opening the door. Period. 9/11 will never happen again unless it is an inside job with sleeper agents. I don't feel the need to be armed to prevent a terrorist takeover, but if some do, I have no problem with that.

Again, just because you carry a gun you don't have to look down on everybody else. TSA does screen people out, regardless of what you think.

Yep, police. They are at every passenger airport. Not many, but they are there.

Flying public. The showbomber was brought down by passengers and not by a someone with a gun. The last time someone used a weapon in the a/c ended up in a tragegy when passenger taking prescription drugs was MISTAKENLY killed. (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/07/airplane.gunshot/index.html).

Am I? Read the first sentence from Wiki:

In the United Kingdom, the majority of police officers do not carry firearms, except in special circumstances.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_use_of_firearms_in_the_United_Kingdom)

I don't want to know "everything". What I would want know is to see an independent study on how useful this program is.

See, if there secrecy, there is less control. That leads to abuse of resources. This program is controversial anyway as a lot of industry experts as well as pilots question it's usefulness. As a participant you obviously have a biased opinion.

So, you're not "breaking" anything new to me. Actually, I don't care anyway.

1. Exactly where did I say that I look down on everyone else?

2.The TSA MISSES 95% of prohibited items during screening. Their numbers not mine.

3.How many police officers are on the airplane? What role do they play in airplane security in flight?

4.Yes you are wrong. I did not say the "majority" of UK police carry firearms, I did say that they have had firearms for many years. use your google skills to search London gun crime, it has increased since the gun ban, wonder why? There are ALWAYS armed police officers on the streets of London, have been for years no "special circumstances" required. If you go to London, look for police vans with several police officers riding in them, it's called the "Rapid Response Unit" They are all armed, go to Heathrow or Gatwick, they are all armed.

5. Where did I say that I was "a participant"? I do have a CWP and have received training in the use of a firearm for self defense.

6.If you don't care then why bother to utilise your time on here posting?

People aren't getting the point...

Do you have any idea how easy it is to carry a small quantity of Semtex through security or how easy it is to construct a detonator of common electronic circuitry? I'm not even an EOD professional and I could make one, not to mention the basic recipe for Semtex is easily found online.

The door can be breached. A business- or first-class passenger could easily jump into the cockpit when the door is opened by the F/A on a long-haul flight. How many F/A's still barricade the corridor with the galley cart? (Not many on the 3-4 flights I ride in every month).

The whole POINT of the FFDO program is deterrance. The terrorists don't know who is or is not armed on the flight when they're in the planning stages, your stupid fag bags notwithstanding (hint, get a different carry method, most of you are easy to pick out in the terminal).

So yes, the program IS effective from a deterrant point of view. Case in point, they haven't tried it again, and passengers are only a small part of the reason why.

As far as "penis envy" or any other such nonsense, I believe, as do others, that a well-armed populace is a lower-crime populace. When the criminals believe there's a good chance they might be shot if they try something with someone, they'll find a different target ot stop altogether.

Deterrance is the entire point to being armed. Those of you who don't get it have never been on the business end of a weapon pointed at you with malicious intent.

Try it once, it'll change your whole outlook. Promise.

Corporal:

Try and actually read and respond to the entire paragraph this time - your answers will be much more relevant.

Yep, police. They are at every passenger airport
'Splain to me how they are going to help me when they are at the airport, and I'm waaaayyyy up there in that little metal tube? Moral support maybe - I'm sure I'll feel much better knowing that the boys in blue feel really bad that we're up there alone having our throats cut.

Flying public. The showbomber was brought down by passengers and not by a someone with a gun. The last time someone used a weapon in the a/c ended up in a tragegy when passenger taking prescription drugs was MISTAKENLY killed.
I'm all for passengers taking responsibility for their own safety - heaven forbid if something ever happens on my flight, I hope they beat the perps to the point they have to wet-vac them out of the carpet.

Technically the guy wasn't on the airplane, and he wasn't accidentally killed - he was deliberately shot by federal agents after behaving erratically and acting in a threatening manner. Tragic? Certainly, but events like this happen - shall we disarm all law enforcement officers to insure that it never happens again? Try and use just a bit of logic here (obviously not your long suit - have a friend help you if necessary).

Am I? Read the first sentence from Wiki:
Oh, now THERE's an unimpeachable source of information! That would be the website that anyone can add anything to right? I also found a site on the net claiming that the holocaust never happened - shall we accept that at face value? Last time I was in London, the police were armed with more than just a nightstick.

Actually, I don't care anyway.
Evidence points to the contrary.

BTW - just over 70 years ago, there was another corporal who greatly expanded the gun control laws to disarm the populace. Do a little research and see how that turned out. (not comparing the two of you mind you, but you might do well to think outside of your cubicle a bit).

Last edited:
Singlecoil -

I agree with most of what you say. I said for years before 9/11 that the common strategy was a joke, and I had envisioned an aircraft being used as a weapon (never thought of multiple, simultaneous attacks though). Like you, I don't advocate anyone who isn't personally willing to take that responsibility doing so - it's not for everyone, and I'm fine with that. I cannot stomach the anti's who are eager to disarm everyone except the criminal!

. . . Kill everybody in the back, we don't care, but we are not opening the door. Period. 9/11 will never happen again unless it is an inside job with sleeper agents. I don't feel the need to be armed to prevent a terrorist takeover, but if some do, I have no problem with that.

I have but one question to this: On a 12 hour flight, how do you get by without a food, a drink, or a pee break? (and yes, I know FFDO's aren't on the long-hauls right now - one of the major flaws in the program). Even on a transcon, man I have to hit the head at least once - hard to do through the door).

I have but one question to this: On a 12 hour flight, how do you get by without a food, a drink, or a pee break? (and yes, I know FFDO's aren't on the long-hauls right now - one of the major flaws in the program). Even on a transcon, man I have to hit the head at least once - hard to do through the door).

Simple. Use the peep hole. If clear, open the door. If bum-rushed by terrorists, close the door regardless of which side of the door you are on. As soon as the door is closed, the airplane is not capable of becoming a guided missile. They can blow it up or do whatever they want behind the door, but the whole point of the FFDO program is to prevent the airplane from becoming a guided missile. Use the peep hole every single time you use the door in flight. Then when you open the door, immediately put your hand on the cabin side door knob, and don't take your hand off of it until the door is closed. If you are just passing meals, keep your foot right next to the open door ready to kick the door closed in an instant. I don't think any of us are trained on any of this, and I'm not sure why not.

Singlecoil -

I agree with most of what you say. I said for years before 9/11 that the common strategy was a joke, and I had envisioned an aircraft being used as a weapon (never thought of multiple, simultaneous attacks though). Like you, I don't advocate anyone who isn't personally willing to take that responsibility doing so - it's not for everyone, and I'm fine with that. I cannot stomach the anti's who are eager to disarm everyone except the criminal!

I am surprised that while they are designing the 787 that they havent made it with a potty behind the cockpit door.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back