VX for descents?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skydiverdriver2

I've been having an ongoing discussion with several other pilots, and many seem to be on both sides of the question. The problem is if you are close to an airport and ATC left you too high, what do you do first? I tend to slow down and perhaps stop the descent, put out my gear and flaps, and then drop like a rock. Other pilots believe it's better to keep descending, slowly slow down and put gear and flaps down while still going down. As far as the best angle of descent, or losing the most altitude for a given distance, which is better? I know that you can get a much higher descent rate at a higher speed, but you are also moving over the ground much faster. Even the ground you use up slowing down couldn't possibly make up for putting all of your drag out and going down much faster, could it? Is there a way to resolve this question?

I could just try it in the sim, but I was hoping there was a way to figure it out mathematically. Thanks for the help.

PS, I'm talking about large turbojets in this question.

If you're carrying passengers it's best to avoid the situation in the first place or just take some vectors for a comfortable descent so you're not dirtying up at limit speeds and causing a panic with extreme nose low pitch attitudes, noise, and vibration.....any hack can dangle the Dunlops and nose it over, flying smoothly is an art that the passengers appreciate.

If you're in a freighter do whatever you need to do....more drag will assist you.

Some airlines have restrictions on the V/S decent rate a certain altitude or distance from the runway, like no more than 1000 FPM under 1000ft AGL. If you delay putting the flaps out or dirty the plane up and then dive for the runway, you may have to bust that requirement. Most large airlines have computers inside your plane that can monitor decent rates etc and when downloaded can alert management to problems. It's best to just go around and try again.

Bye Bye---General Lee

If you're carrying passengers it's best to avoid the situation in the first place or just take some vectors for a comfortable descent so you're not dirtying up at limit speeds and causing a panic with extreme nose low pitch attitudes, noise, and vibration.....any hack can dangle the Dunlops and nose it over, flying smoothly is an art that the passengers appreciate.

If you're in a freighter do whatever you need to do....more drag will assist you.

It sounds like you didn't understand the question. What I'm asking is, what gives you a better angle of descent, stopping the descent to put out flaps and gear, or continuing the descent and adding flaps and gear as your speed bleeds off. Thanks for the assistance.

It sounds like you didn't understand the question. What I'm asking is, what gives you a better angle of descent, stopping the descent to put out flaps and gear, or continuing the descent and adding flaps and gear as your speed bleeds off. Thanks for the assistance.

Stop the descent, dirty up, and then you can descend at a greater rate without adding a lot of extra speed. Just don't wait too long to do it.

Bye Bye---General Lee

HAHAHAHAHAHA, Genital the pretend pilot giving advice...priceless!!

Most large airlines have computers inside your plane that can monitor decent rates etc and when downloaded can alert management to problems. Bye Bye---General Lee

Plus mgt has those black copters now too Jenny! LMAO you are such a putz!

Just bank that bitch on over w/ some opposite rudder and head on down. Works every time plus folks get a real good view that window! :)

Slow up and dirty up. The descent rate will be as good or better than rocketing down at 250 knots and you are covering less distance while doing it.

Latest resources

Back