• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

VX for descents?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stop the descent and dirty it up. Then hold the fastest safe/allowed speed for parasite drag to maximize your descent.

It doesn't have to be gear down. Sometimes if you're just a little high using this method with lesser flaps/spoilers will get you back on profile too.

I hope that answers the question.

I agree with the level off and dirty it up answer. If you recognize the need far enough out, you can perform it very smoothly without violating any stabilized approach procedures. Gear down, landing flaps setting and speed comfortably between target and placard limit with idle thrust. Gradually add power to join the glide path and it's fine. (Obviously the air show needs to be over by 1000 AGL or so)

Yes it's not ideal but there are times due to fuel, weather, traffic or f'd up third world ATC that it's the best option.

If you are talking 737NG, either method seems to work! Gear and speed brake are a popular method, dive down, level off keeping the speed brake out until you slow to flap speed, stow and dump the flaps. The wing is so clean on the NG's, she doesn't like to slow down and come down, especially a heavy -800/900. Now the old classics are a different story, that wing is so thick and dirty, it will slow down and come down a little easier.

Now, the MD-80 was a whole different animal, from 15,000 feet, use speed brake to 280 knots, then throw the slats out, and I think SPD mode, 737 equivalent would be level change and she would drop like a rock! That MADDOG was great!!!

If your abeam and knowingly hi, better be slow, if slow, dirty up and drop. While there is caution for the "nose over scare the pax" issue, you get paid to get it on the ground, not take a five minute tour to 15Nm final.

If safety is no concern, as everyone else has said, slow down then extend the flaps and gear. If safety is any concern at all decline the clearance and request an extended down wind or vector for descent. Don't let ATC push you. These kinds of descents can lead to a number of bad things. If for any reason you must level off unexpectedly (VFR nordo traffic, other side traffic enters your final path, etc) you will be very close to stall speed before you get the engines spooled up. Your AC is in a very vulnerable state. The gear take forever to retract and the first thing that happens if you try to retract them is the doors open and the rate of deceleration increases. Some AC have flaps that may retract quickly but if the gear is out the flaps won't be enough. These descents also precede the majority of unstable approaches.

For safety sake some 'old school' gouge still works very well

Below 10, 3000 fpm max to 3000 AGL
Then the max sinkrate is your altitude AGL until stabilized at 1000'
If you are at idle minimum speed is VREF plus 30
The gear never get extended prior to the FAF on profile or if visual when descending through the pattern altitude - 1500 agl

Most AC can live with this gouge. If you must use some drag for the descent approach flaps and spoilers should be enough for 3000 fpm. Just remember to add 30 knots or so to the published minimum speed for the configuration.

I have seen both regional and 'mainline' crews fully configure at 10, then start an idle descent at the slowest speed possible. It makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck, my skin crawl, stomach get queasy, and body and mind generally revolt. If any little external, unforeseen factor requires a flight path change you will be between a rock and a hard spot with few choices.

Don't let ATC push you. You don't have to accept the clearance. Too many of our brethren do. And ATC knows better. They are just seeing if you will do it to cover their mistake.

Wtf is this??^^^^

Are you serious?
Or even a pilot?

I don't post much but General Lee actually had good advice. He also is right with the plane telling on you to the company. The aircraft I fly does if you are outside of certain parameters set by the company.

you get paid to get it on the ground, not take a five minute tour to 15Nm final.

No, you're paid to make good decisions and not let ATC push you into a bad position. Who's in charge, anyway? If you're even close to requiring max angle of descent to fix the problem ATC put you in, you're making the wrong choice of how to fix the problem.

Latest resources

Back