• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JoeMerchant

ASA pilot
Biden swine flu comments prompt clarification
30 Apr 2009 13:28:37 GMT
Source: Reuters

</SPAN> WASHINGTON, April 30 (Reuters) - U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said on Thursday he would tell his family to stay out of airplanes or subways to avoid contracting swine flu, prompting his office to issue a clarification.
Asked on NBC's "Today" show what he would tell members of his family if they asked him whether they should get on a commercial airliner to Mexico in the next week, Biden said:
"I would tell members of my family -- and I have -- I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now."
He said the problem is that "when one person sneezes it goes all the way through the aircraft."
"I would not be, at this point, if they had another way of transportation, suggesting they ride the subway. So from my perspective, what it relates to is mitigation," he said.
"If you're out in the middle of a field and someone sneezes, that's one thing. If you're in a closed aircraft or a closed container, a closed car, a closed classroom, it's a different thing," he added.
Biden's spokesperson, Elizabeth Alexander, sought to clarify Biden's remarks in a statement issued shortly after his television interview.
"The advice he is giving family members is the same advice the administration is giving to all Americans: that they should avoid unnecessary air travel to and from Mexico," she said.
"If they are sick, they should avoid airplanes and other confined public spaces, such as subways. This is the advice the vice president has given family members who are traveling by commercial airline this week," Alexander said. (Reporting by Steve Holland, editing by Vicki Allen)

Biden swine flu comments prompt clarification
30 Apr 2009 13:28:37 GMT
Source: Reuters

</SPAN> WASHINGTON, April 30 (Reuters) - U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said on Thursday he would tell his family to stay out of airplanes or subways to avoid contracting swine flu, prompting his office to issue a clarification.
Asked on NBC's "Today" show what he would tell members of his family if they asked him whether they should get on a commercial airliner to Mexico in the next week, Biden said:
"I would tell members of my family -- and I have -- I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now."
He said the problem is that "when one person sneezes it goes all the way through the aircraft."
"I would not be, at this point, if they had another way of transportation, suggesting they ride the subway. So from my perspective, what it relates to is mitigation," he said.
"If you're out in the middle of a field and someone sneezes, that's one thing. If you're in a closed aircraft or a closed container, a closed car, a closed classroom, it's a different thing," he added.
Biden's spokesperson, Elizabeth Alexander, sought to clarify Biden's remarks in a statement issued shortly after his television interview.
"The advice he is giving family members is the same advice the administration is giving to all Americans: that they should avoid unnecessary air travel to and from Mexico," she said.
"If they are sick, they should avoid airplanes and other confined public spaces, such as subways. This is the advice the vice president has given family members who are traveling by commercial airline this week," Alexander said. (Reporting by Steve Holland, editing by Vicki Allen)

That is a lie. He said not just Mexico it's anywhere.

Thanks Joe. Nothing like feeding into the hysteria. When is Obama gonna put Biden under quarantine.

He suggests ride the subway?

Subway:

Subterranean
Crowded
Confined Cars

I'll get right on it Mr VP :rolleyes:

So when this jack@ass stirs a panic and airlines begin to fail left and right are they going to bail us out?

Oh a btw, what about us? we have to fly! What advice do you have for us Mr. VP Big Mouth?!?

"I would not be, at this point, if they had another way of transportation, suggesting they ride the subway."

Reading really IS fundamental.

YKMKR

Wouldn't you say there would have been a more mature and better way to make your statement? As you can see it can be easily misinterpreted. Either way it is bad advice coming from #2.

Oh I get it, AVOID ALL TYPES OF MASS TRANSIT. THAT IS EVEN BETTER. He and his family don't have to since he is wealthy and the VP but what about the millions of Americans who work for a living?

Clean your hands often and cover your mouth on a tissue when you sneeze or cough would have been better advice, IMO.

Oh and stay away from Mexicans, oops too late for that they already all over the place!! LOL JK

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back