• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

VOR navigation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heard Air Whiskey last night tell center they lost their FMS and needed a heading... back to green needles!

CAL 737-300 round dials don't have GPS installed. Still has FMC, but they update by VOR/DME.

ASA's 50 seat RJs primary FMC position also comes from VOR/DME, and the GPS is used as backup. Never could figure that one out.

I was talking to a Comair guy when I was on the ATR, and he asked if I liked flying it. I said yeah, but it would be nice if it had and FMS, or GPS. He said "you guys don't have GPS?" I said no. He thought about that for a minute, and then asked "how do you navigate?" :)

Last edited:
Long live the ATRah.

We dont need no stinking GPS. (Actually, we've got one, but it's not for nav: We just use it to make sure we dont hit stuff...)

F9 A318/319:

3 IRS
3GPS
2 VORs (auto tuned)
2ADF

All signals go into computer to "vote" on position and FMS determines position based on weighted average. If you want, I guess you could turn off IRs and hard tune VORs. It would take me a minute to figure out how to hard tune and display ADF. No Radio Disney for me...

One day going to EGE, ALL the GPS/RNAV went "unreliable" (yellow needles and all). :eek:

Turned a brand new G450 into a DC-9 just like that!

There were so many crisp, new enroute charts being unfolded, it sounded like the Bunny Ranch using paper bed sheets... ;) TC

Latest resources

Back