• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Voluntary Furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If it's a Voluntary furlough, then you are not eligible for unemployment benefits. The company does not notify the state that you are on furlough.

If it's a Voluntary furlough, then you are not eligible for unemployment benefits. The company does not notify the state that you are on furlough.

This is not the place for legal / unemployment advice. Talk to your local unemployment office. Each state may be different.

I took a voluntary furlough from ACA when they had a reduction in staff during the Indy transition. I legally collected unemployment in my state of residence. I was out of work due to a reduction in staffing levels. My state unemployment office could care less about my seniority.

When the company offers the voluntary furlough they should tell you what is provided. Seniority, Duration of medical benefits (i.e. 3 months), travel, etc.

I hope not.

I can't imagine a person taking a VOLUNTARY furlough and then trying to get unemployment.

Why should the rest of the taxpayers work hard and support a person who is too lazy to work?

You really can't be this naive can you? Think about it. Whether the furlough is voluntary or involuntary, a certain number of people will be on the street. So why not allow guys who may want the time off take the furlough and collect unemployment, instead of working up the seniority list and forcing guys out who may want to stay on this horrible job. As far as the state is concerned, it should be a moot point.

I hope not.

I can't imagine a person taking a VOLUNTARY furlough and then trying to get unemployment.

Why should the rest of the taxpayers work hard and support a person who is too lazy to work?

Actually, EMPLOYERS pay for unemployment, not tax payers. Each employer must pay an "unemployment insurance premium" to the state. It's set up just like a typical insurance policy - all the money goes into a pot, and doled out by the managing agency (the state governments). Each year, the amount the employer pays is based on how many claims they had against them in the preceding year.

Actually, EMPLOYERS pay for unemployment, not tax payers. Each employer must pay an "unemployment insurance premium" to the state. It's set up just like a typical insurance policy - all the money goes into a pot, and doled out by the managing agency (the state governments). Each year, the amount the employer pays is based on how many claims they had against them in the preceding year.

In my state, employers can make the employees pay a share of that premium - typically 25% or so. It is up to the employer if they want to dock the employee's check or not.

I hope not.

You obviously don't know that taxpayers don't pay unemployment, corporations do... I've been furloughed and I received a unemployment check. I don't see anything wrong with it, especially if you have a family. I framed mine. I use it as a reminder that leaving aviation was the best thing for me and my family. Good luck to everyone having to go through that, it sucks.

I hope not.

Sorry, but you seem to misunderstand how UEI works. Taxes have no relationship at all to unemployment. Unemployment benefits are part of the compensation package of every single employee, paid for by their employer, and no one else. Your potential or actual UEI is yours and yours alone. Think of it as part of YOUR pay. Your pay is what it is because your employer also considers all of the benefits you receive, one of which is UEI, when setting your pay rate. You have already earned any UEI you might receive. When someone takes unemployment, it has nothing to do with anyone else, least of all the US Taxpayer. Now, it is still the employee's job to follow the rules and laws.

Whether or not voluntary furloughees receive UEI benefits is a decision made by your employer and your state. Check with your company to see what their policy states. Also see which state's system they pay into for you (your base vs. your home), that is the state you would need to contact to see if you're eligible. If they agree you are, then you are, and you should have no qualms about claiming it, as it is a prepaid benefit you have already earned through your labor.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back