Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
EMB170Pilot said:
My soultion... PLAN AHEAD
Being new also, I expected the visual so I had the airplane slowed down with flaps in so all I had to do is drop the gear and put in the rest of the flaps.

Just plan ahead and you will be fine. Its called LEARNING :) Happened to me when I started out in Dec :)

bump.

Landing Gear first - CRJ

Is it my imagination or am I the only person who has gotten "GEAR DISAGREE" when trying the "gear first" option on a CRJ without the reach for the hydraulics panel?

On the older models, those #3 ACMPS (pumps) aren't as frisky as a newer airplane. Supplying hydraulic power for backup rudder, elevators, ailerons and spoilerons is already taxing the system. So now you add nose gear doors, uplocks and a little extension pressure - whoops, sorry you are just out of pressure! GEAR DISAGREE.

Now you can rectify that by reaching up to the panel and moving VERY CAREFULLY the #3B switch from Auto to "ON" and now you have two (2) pumps moving fluid or you can just wait till you have some flaps (FLAPS not equal 0 degrees) and the airplane will turn pump 3B "on" for you in anticipation of the demand to be placed on the airplane. But then some pilots go beserk on a non-standard switch movement in a sterile cockpit environment.

So maybe some of us pitch up and slow down to flap speed first so that all this stuff doesn't happen. Then we don't have to answer the F/A and the folks in the first two rows who are asking what was the problem with the "GEAR". So I can act cool and make a nice profile with the off chance that I just scared the (you know what) out of 5-6 people. Or I can make the airplane balloon for just a second stealing off 20-30kts of excess airspeed.

And spoilers.....they are only there for mistakes....and lately they have been there for the express use of ATC mistakes - the "slam dunk" approach seems to be a new favorite followed closely by the rookie ATC requests I've been getting on the East Coast:

1.) Descend/Maintain one-one, eleven thousand (from FL's)
2.) I need a good rate down please
3.) Slow to 250, next sector's request

The lawn dart doesn't go down and slow down - ever.

The CRJ is an exceptional airplane - there are so many exceptions to the rule!

By "fully configured", I think the OP is referring to Flaps 45. In the Brazilian super lawn-dart, Flaps 9 and gear can both come out at 250K, so that's not really an issue. You can also use boards, so it's not hard to get the airplane to slow down and come down, to about 190-180K. (At 200 you can throw out Flaps 22). The problem is, the airplane is smarter than us pilots, and the spoilers automatically retract as the Flaps extend past 18 degrees. The airplane has a ridiculous Flaps 45 Vfe of 145 knots (with target speeds between 125-140 depending on weight), which means now you're trying to slow from 180 or so to 145 to really get the barn doors out. This CAN be done on the glideslope, but only if you have a few miles to play with. Basically you can be high or fast at the marker and stay on slope, but not both. OTOH, if you shallow the descent and get those flaps 45 out, you can now come down at 1700-1800FPM on target and re-catch the GS from the top. You have to be on your game to do this, though, and it makes a lot of guys nervous. Too easy to forget the power and blow right through the slope going low if you're new to the airplane. I THINK that's what the OP was asking. For you Canadair drivers, must be nice to have an airplane where you can actually use boards all the way down (although when I ride upfront with y'all it still looks like you're pointed straight down with that 2-3 degree nose-low angle!)

Ben Franklin said:
you should visit www.expressjetpilots.com or www.calforums.com/coexboard

there are alot of hot sticks on those sites who can tell you everything that you need to know about flying jets.

I fly the E145 and slow to 145 at FL200 and put in gear down and flaps 45 and fly Vref all the way in to 50 feet above touchdown. That way, I am set up and don't need to actually slow to cross that 50' point at Vref. Now THAT's being ahead of the game. My F/O's are constantly impressed and offer to buy my drinks and meals all over the civilized world.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Ben, that's awesome! I've been trying to get FOQA of the month also. Next time I'll buy the beer.

Now seriously folks have you ever heard the saying "you can slow down, and you can go down but you can't slow down and go down" There is alot of truth to this. On a normal profile you will have no problem crossing the marker at 190 knts, gear down, flaps 22, idle thrust and being completely configured and stablized by 1000 AGL. In the extreme case that you are cleared for a visual at an anusually high altitude, it most cases it is your fault, ie. poor planning. However sometimes it is not. If you just pitch the nose over and throw everything out, it will be very difficult to be configured by 1000 AGL(we require 1000 in vis), you are much better off to slow down first, then begin the decent. This way you can hit the 1000 AGL(or 500) mark, if you don't you should go around.
High energy idle approaches has been a hot topic lately at our company as we continue to add more airports in moutainous areas, as revealed by FOQA data. More important than the method used is to make sure you have a stabilized approach from the altitude required by your company and the FAA.

tarp said:
Landing Gear first - CRJ

Is it my imagination or am I the only person who has gotten "GEAR DISAGREE" when trying the "gear first" option on a CRJ without the reach for the hydraulics panel?

----
I believe the #2 pump is not enerized unless the flaps are greater than zero. So when you go Gear first with no flaps, you only have the #3 pump working. Combine that with the higher speed and you get the message. Try turning on the #2 pump before you select gear down with 0 flaps and you won't get the message.

Don't know it Logic is 100% right, but I know that if the #2 pump is on, no message.

Quote from JD2003: "In the first scenario you run the risk of not getting configured by the prescribed altitude (500'AGL for visuals)"

Just to clarify the CFM says we "must be in an approved and planned landing configuration (no lower than 1,000 ft. above TDZE in IMC AND VMC)

tarp said:
Landing Gear first - CRJ

Is it my imagination or am I the only person who has gotten "GEAR DISAGREE" when trying the "gear first" option on a CRJ without the reach for the hydraulics panel?The CRJ is an exceptional airplane - there are so many exceptions to the rule!

Keep in mind that creating ones own procedures in a no-no. Unless your operator has created a doc that says you can do it... you really can't. (I know I know).

For example on the CRJ, if you closed DC Tie 1 and 2 before you turn on Gen2 the aircraft will not kick out auto tune, YD2, Vspeeds, baro etc....

However, no where is this allowed...so it can't be done.... So when creating ones own procedures...where is the line drawn...

Last edited:
For example on the CRJ, if you closed DC Tie 1 and 2 before you turn on Gen2 the aircraft will not kick out auto tune, Vspeeds, baro etc...

Is that on a particular model of the CRJ ie -100? In my experience on the -200 the auotune does sometimes, but I haven't seen the V speeds or the baro reset.

Carl_Spackler said:
Is that on a particular model of the CRJ ie -100? In my experience on the -200 the auotune does sometimes, but I haven't seen the V speeds or the baro reset.

The biggest one is the auto tune and YD2. I think Bomardier says Vspeeds, Alt., baro, etc, just to cover themselves...

Last edited:
A good thing to remember is that leveling off to quickly bleed speed for the final flap setting (ERJ: Flaps 45 @ 145 KIAS) will mean you are quickly reducing your closure rate on the airport. By flying the glideslope and letting the speed bleed off more slowly, you have a higher closure rate on the runway.

I've been slam-dunked a few times, and this is what worked for me.

Spoilers if needed to 250 knots.
Flaps 9, continued spoilers if needed.
Gear down around 220 knots.
Flaps 22 at 200 knots, spoilers in.
Intermediate level off to 145 knots about 1500 feet AGL. Works best if slowed to at least 180 knots.
At 145 knots, flaps 45, start down to rejoin glideslope slowly (not chop and drop), using about 45% N1 instead of the ~60% N1 needed normally.

Or even better just use a slip. Works great, lasts long time.

Kidding.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back