Visual Approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
just to play devil's advocate

I think you only need 3 miles vis to FLY an airplane, not taxi one. So if you have 3+ miles for the approach and can land and then go IMC on the ground, probably legal.

When does the airplane stop flying? Main wheel touchdown? Nosewheel touchdown? Below a certain speed?

Tough to get all that done in the 1st 1000 feet with some airplanes

You said there was 1 mile, get a special VFR clearance, then your still visual and legal below 3 miles....

You said there was 1 mile, get a special VFR clearance, then your still visual and legal below 3 miles....

It was a part 135 flight. If you look at 91.157 (C) (2) (i) you will see that Special VFR is a part 91 clearance.

Last edited:
It was a part 135 flight. If you look at 91.157 (C) (2) (i) you will see that Special VFR is a part 91 clearance.

Uhhh, you're mis-reading that. Go back and take a more careful look, the reference to 91 ops is in regard to whether you can substitute flight visibility for reported visibility. Trust me, there are thousands of VFR clearances issued to part 135 flights every year in Alaska.

Thanks. That is what I get for scanning a reg so quickly looking for the hippidy hoopla, blibdy bla bla, there it is, part 91, that must be it.......

I remember from my company training that there is some reason that we can not do special VFR. I'm guessing its in the Op Specs now. Now I'm gonna have to get out the GOM, and I'm still 2 months away from a recurrent check ride. Gross.

Latest resources

Back