• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Visiting London UK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gatwick is the best way into London. It has fewer flights to the US, so the crowds aren't as bad as at Heathrow. It's not quite as close to the city center, but you're going to have to take the train anyway.

Determining if you can jumpseat to England is the lesser of your worries. More important is if you can jumpseat back out! You'll need to check with the airline and get specific instructions, and you may need to make "reservations" for the jumpseat. It would be a real bummer to have to buy a walk-up one way ticket to get back home! Bringing an ID-90 wouldn't be a bad idea. Check on paperwork requirements when you check in for the return flight- there are numerous paperwork checks, and the Brits are sticklers for having the proper papers.
It's true that only 121 pilots with a reciprocal agreement can j/s on US carriers. Foreign carriers do pretty much whatever they want.

If you are set on staying downtown, you'll be hard pressed to find a "US style" hotel (en-suite bathroom) for less than $130/night. You can get a much better deal staying at a Bed & Breakfast in the outskirts (close to the airport). For $50-$80, you'll get a much better room than a hostel, and they'll cook you breakfast in the morning!

To enlighten a poor FO, what is ID-90?? I've JS a few times into Canada, but I'm sure it's a lot different. I plan to come back thru big ol' NW in Gatwick, and the plane is only half full for the most part of the month. I'll go talk to my JS coordinator and find out the full scope. Folks I talk to, they all say it's a easy ride, but I just wanna be on the safe side when you're in someone elses' backyard:) Thanks for all the info, it's great!

another cfii said:
To enlighten a poor FO, what is ID-90?? I've JS a few times into Canada, but I'm sure it's a lot different. I plan to come back thru big ol' NW in Gatwick, and the plane is only half full for the most part of the month. I'll go talk to my JS coordinator and find out the full scope. Folks I talk to, they all say it's a easy ride, but I just wanna be on the safe side when you're in someone elses' backyard:) Thanks for all the info, it's great!
ID-90 is basically a stand-by ticket you purchase on another airline that gives you stand-by rights on a given route. I believe it is 10% of the highest economy fare sold on the route. You are the lowest priority stand-by behind revenue and all of the airline's employees/companions. Being stand-by still stinks, but it gives you another option to get home which is important when we are talking about internationals with only one-two flights per day.

The other piece of good news is that they are completely refundable, so if you don't use it return it and get all your money back. It also allows you to get to places that no US airline serves and not deal with potential JS drama. I wouldn't of gotten to New Zealand last year without some form of ID-90.

To get one all you have to do is go to any of your airline's ticket counters (ie if your Pinnacle go to NWA), show them you're ID, and tell them you need an ID-90 on Delta or whoever on LGW-CVG for example (sometimes depending on agreement it can be a zone fare which is even cheaper). They do some computing, pop them you're credit card and your on your way. Pretty much the same thing if you want to return the thing. That's the way it happens at Continental so I assume it's pretty standard elsewhere.

As I said it is smart to hold onto as a back-up primarily. These days JS international is not a sure thing due to our @sshole TSA friends. You never know if there is a spike in security they might suspend all JS privilges on international. You don't want to stuck having to work the next day with an ocean between you and home.

I caution you again about the loads. Whenever you think it is wide open all the time, it tends to fill the day you want to leave. Always have a rough idea with what you're working with before you go to the airport. I sat through three flights at Prague a few weeks ago where the first two were wide open when I checked earlier in the day. However cancelations and rain shower put me out of luck. The only reason I made the third was cause an EXTREMELY kind agent took pity on me and put me on instead of a revenue stand-by who was a complete @ss to her.

When non-reving it's always best to know every detail so you can react to the suprises. Too bad they can't teach you this in new hire training. You got learn on the go and get burned once in a while to learn that game.

Last edited:
I just went there in June for the second time...it rules! As far as how to get there goes, I am affiliated with NW (work for mesaba) and their jumpseat policy sucks, and now since you can't even occupy the physical jumpseat unless you work for NWA, it is even worse. I went with everyones advice this time and bought a non rev pass (ID-90) on Continental. They were great. Enough said, the roundtrip pass cost me about $200, but it was worth not worrying the whole time I was there. PM me if you want anymore info. Have fun, and enjoy the pubs.

Latest resources

Back