Visiting London UK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

another cfii

Just check here to see if anybody has any recommendation for a first timer to London. Where did you stay? I am thinking staying in a single private room in a hostel? If you have any ideas of where to stay, where to play, please post.

Thanks.

I lived in London last summer for 2 months, its an awsome place, tons of fun. I was studying over there so I stayed in a dorm most of the time, but the last two days there I stayed at the La Meridian hotel. Its very nicey but rather pricey.

One of my favorite areas was piccadilly circus, lots of good bars and resaturants around there. Some other cool things to see and do are, trafalgar square, the eye of london, the tower of london, stonehenge. Those are just a few. Just ask if you have any more questions.

I stayed in a small hotel near Victoria Station when I went to London in 2001. I was able to take the train from Gatwick and walk to the hotel, and the hotel was walking distance to many landmarks. (Look kids, Big Ben, Parliament!!!) Once you are there, there are double decker's that make a loop around the city with stops at many different attractions. You can buy a pass that allows you to get on and off wherever and whenever you want for a certain period of time, 24 hours in my case. The bus' I used had narrators describing history and facts about the sights which is also pretty interesting.

It's a great city to visit and I'm going to try to get back over soon. No need for a car, just bring some comfortable shoes!!!!

I always stay at a place called the Carlton hotel, which is between Victoria and Pimlico stations. Small rooms, and really small bathrooms, but at 49 pounds a night not bad, and you're not doing anything but sleeping in the rooms anyway. Make sure you go to the RAF museum in Hendon. Take the Northern line tube to Colindale stop, then it's walking distance. If you can, take a train to Cambridge and go to Duxford AAF as well, and Portsmouth is worth seeing if you have time...

atrdriver

Thanx for all the good reply. I am planning on jumpseating on Delta or NW to Gatwick, and probably plan to stay somewhere close to the Victoria station, since it's so close to all the attractions.

I am hoping someone that has been JS before to tell me how's the experience..

another cfii said:
Thanx for all the good reply. I am planning on jumpseating on Delta or NW to Gatwick, and probably plan to stay somewhere close to the Victoria station, since it's so close to all the attractions.

I am hoping someone that has been JS before to tell me how's the experience..
From one poor regional FO to another here's my advice:

First off if J/S is on your mind double check with your JS cordinator to make sure you can go on DAL or NWA as a jumpseater. Lots of companies have different rules these days with the international due to TSA bullsh!t, so make sure you know the legality before you go. Might not be a bad idea to back-up the JS with an ID-90 just in case sh!t goes down. I'm sure the procedure would involve talking to the check-in folks and then meeting the crew before they clear security. Better plan on getting there 2 hours before departure to be on the safe side. Wouldn't hurt to know the loads ahead of time so you aren't shocked when no ride is possible. I came back from Europe two weeks ago and made it by the skin of my teeth.

Second, better have your wallet ready in London. I lived there in college for four months and it scares me to remember how much I spent there although I had the time of my life. Having a good night out getting drunk and going to a good pub/club will cost you 80 bills EASILY. I go out in NYC alot and it always seems cheaper when I compare it to what I dumped in the London.

If your traveling by yourself I highly recommend going the hostel route even if it means bunking with strangers. You might need to bring little things like a small flashlight, towel, and lock but it's worth the inconvience for the price. You'll be hard pressed to find a hotel in Central London for under 100 bucks/night. While a hostel will not be as clean or private at the end of the day you will appreciate paying 70% less for lodging and being right in the middle of things

The way I look at it is I travel to places to do the tourist sh!t, walk around alot, and get p!ss @ss drunk at night. As long as my head has a pillow to hit at the end of the night I'll be just fine. Check out the hostels ahead of time on the internet, but if it is a YHA hostel you should be okay. Plus hostels are a great way to meet young foreign chicks.

As for getting around, f*ck the tourist bus. The subway/tube in London will get you everywhere you need to go and is easy to figure out. It is much more worth it to walk around to the sites then sit there on some double decker bus next to a 55 year fat, loud guy named DALE from North Carolina. You can get a day pass on the tube for pretty cheap. Definetly check out Oxford and Piccadely Circus at night as well as the sometimes forgotten Imperial War Musuem during the day. If you're there on a Sunday go to Speaker's Corner to get entertained and hear the evils of George W. Participate at you're own risk. As far at the pubs well pretty much everyone in Central London is good fun although the food tends to be rubbish.

The English are great people, but I found most Americans struggle with them at first cause the English are extremely sarcastic. You have to learn how to fight back with your own sacrasm to really win them over. Oh and be ready for beer that is quite bitter and at near room temperature. You can always tell the new tourist at a pub cause he's the guy who takes a drink and looks like he sucked on a lemon. Once you get use to it you'll never go back, especially since the Guinness is so good. That's the best advice I can give from someone who has done it before with your income status.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back