Vision Requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sun Devil 2000

I recently had my yearly eye doctor appointment and I got to thinking... do any of the majors stll have an uncorrected vision requirement? Or as long as you can be corrected to 20/20 your ok? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

From what I have seen nearly all carriers are correctable to 20/20, with some of those requiring 20/100 - 20/400 uncorrected depending on the carrier.

The only place I have seen an uncorrected requirement is with contract flying with firms like Hawaii Aviation. The standards for the foreign Japanese firms they deal with ranges from 20/100 to 20/60 uncorrected. U.S. carriers seem to accept a class I - 20/20 correctable. Years ago when I was applying to a major, now bankrupt that recently dumped their pension on the PBGC, they had a stipulation of 20/100 uncorrected maximum. Two female pilots (sisters) from Colorado sued under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) but lost. Strangely enough the standards changed soon after that.

20/20

D E F P O T E C

What's even more impressive is reading those letters off while your back is turned to the chart.

Last edited:
My doc is great! He says,"Can you read the line that says 'D E F P O T E C'." I always say of course I can then we start discussing our bikes.

Latest resources

Back