• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Vision Correction

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My ame said to do one at a time. That way if there's a problem you can get a soda.

I want to have it done, but i guess the worst case scenario just scares me. Anyone know of any cases that have gone bad?
Do you really want to go down that road?

http://news.legalexaminer.com/former-airline-pilot.aspx?googleid=26902

Former Airline Pilot Awarded $4 Million in Case Involving LASIK Surgery

In the largest personal injury verdict to date involving "LASIK" eye surgery, an Arizona jury awarded a former United Airlines pilot $4 million for injuries he sustained due to the procedure. Steve Post, 35, underwent laser-eye surgery in May 2000 to correct nearsightedness. While on a test run two weeks before he was to return to work, Post experienced night glare. Doctors told Post that his night vision had been damaged, likely due to the LASIK surgery three months earlier. After losing his job because of his injuries, Post filed suit against University Physicians, Inc, alleging he was the victim of improper screening by his optometrist. The unprecedented case saw one of the nation's leading LASIK surgeons, Jeffrey Machat, testify on behalf of the plaintiff.

http://www.lasikfraud.com/news/archives/000029.html

REFRACTIVE SURGERY NEWS

Pilot's $4 million Award Over LASIK Surgery is Reinstated

By Anne Denogean
Tucson Citizen

A man whose career as a commercial pilot was ended by a LASIK eye operation should get a $4 million judgment, a judge ruled.

The Superior Court judge reinstated a $4 million judgment against University Physicians Healthcare - formerly University Physicians Inc. - in the case of former United Airlines pilot

Steve Post, whose night vision was reduced by the eye surgery.

With interest, the judgment is now at $4.3 million, the largest verdict in a LASIK case in the United States.

Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis is intended to eliminate or reduce dependency on eyeglasses or contacts.

Post successfully claimed in his lawsuit in May 2002 that his large pupils made him an inappropriate candidate for such surgery and that proper screening and pupil measurement by UPI would have revealed this before his surgery. His surgery was performed at UPI's The LASIK Center, 655 N. Alvernon Way.

Post's loss of night vision left him unable to fly for commercial airlines. He said during trial he would not have had the surgery had he been told he was at increased risk for night vision problems.

Judge Kenneth Lee granted UPI's motion for a new trial when Post's expert witness, Dr. Jeffery Machat, a Canadian ophthalmologist, recanted testimony that UPI had fallen below the standard of care in performing LASIK on Post.

The Arizona Court of Appeals overturned the ruling in January, and the Arizona Supreme Court declined to review it this summer.

Lee ruled to reinstate the verdict late last week.

"I'm really disappointed and we're considering our options," said Norm Botsford, president and chief executive of UPI.

Posted by Admin at November 2, 2004 05:42 PM

Last edited:
Thanks-like I said; just wondering about worst case scenarios. I guess its a risk/reward thing.

Had I-LASIK two years ago and love it. I was 20/20 the next day and 20/15 a week later. Still 20/15. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the info! Have y'all had any problems getting any airline jobs because of employers not accepting it or have all the majors accepted it?

As far as I know Europe and Asia will not accept LASIK to issue you a Class 1 medical certificate. That said I do not know how difficult it is to prove whether you had eye surgery or not.

Questions to those that had Lasik: Any discomfort at night with bright lights? I remember hearing that some people had issues with their night vision.

How does age factor in?
In my 40's now and am curious if I got surgery now and my eyes changed naturally in the next few years

Wave,

Talk to your Ophthalmologist. As you get older your eyes may change towards long sighted (can't read stuff up close). It cannot be corrected with surgery. So, you're back in the same boat with regard to correction.

Thanks for the info! Have y'all had any problems getting any airline jobs because of employers not accepting it or have all the majors accepted it?

No company ever asked me. A doctor can tell if you had the procedure by looking at your corneas, but I'm not aware of any US company that would disqualify you for having LASIK. Your medical certificate will not have any mention of the procedure.

Europe and China both give class one medicals after PRK and LASIK. In Europe your uncorrected vision prior to the surgery could have been no worse than -6.0 (at least that is what the UK CAA was showing last year). China requires a one year wait from the surgery. With PRK nobody can tell you had it done, at least according to my regular eye doctor. LASIK he can spot, with PRK he says there is no way to tell.

PS- I should clarify that my eye DR (not the surgeon) said that if he was not looking for it, he would not be able to tell it was done. If he knew it was done or was looking for it, he could tell.

Also the U.S. military is now accepting PRK. I am not sure about LASIK, but they do recommend PRK over LASIK and in some cases have paid for it.

Just double checked the UK CAA site and the pre-operative limits for class 1 are +5 and -6.

Lastly I do believe that Japan and Korea still do not accept it.

Last edited:
I had LASIK in 2005, best decision I ever made. I now have to wear reading glasses, but being late 40's I probably would have to anyway. But being able to wake up and see without fumbling for glasses, well there is nothing like it. I was about -6.75 before, and at least 20/20 after. No problems at night. I probably went back to work too early, but still didn't have any problems.

Latest resources

Back