Vision Correction

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JJDriver

Can anyone share any of their vision correction stories, PRK vs LASIK, results, etc. My prescription is -7.75 and considering pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

I did it back in 2008, best decision I've made in a long time! Wavefront LASIK, down time was minimal, was up and driving the next day! Just do your research and homework to find a doc.

Don't try to pinch a penny and find a cheap clinic, spend the extra, it's well worth it in the long run!

I did LASIK back in 2009 and have been very happy with it especially since I had astigmatism. I agree, don't go to a cheapo place and also there was a couple of good articles about it in the ALPA magazine recently if you get that, or can find a copy.

Be sure to check with your company to see if they have any restrictions and you will need a FAA form for the doctor to sign before you go back to work.

Try to give yourself a week off if you can. I only had 3 days and I wasn't fully recovered yet, especially at night. After a week, I was fine and glad to get rid of the eye wear.

Best of luck.

My wife reports it being hands down the best money she's ever spent. I forget what her prescription had been, but it was BAD. It was so fast and painless (all the newest tech) and the results so instant and dramatic, it was just about a religious experience. Clear vision after a few hours, and night halos for a couple weeks. 20/10. Had been wearing glasses since the age of 10.

If you happen to be in Florida, I'll send you my recommendation.

Last edited:
Had PRK done about a year ago. Well worth it. My eyes were not a great fit for LASIK and PRK was highly recommended. PRK has a longer recovery time. I was without my medical for two months. My understanding is with LASIK you pretty much are 20/20 the day after. With PRK you are for all intents and purposes blind for about four or five days. My brother in law had to drive me to my first two follow up appointments, the day after surgery and the next one six days later. Everything was so blurry I could not even watch the television. But by week two I was seeing 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. By my six week appointment I was 20/15 in each eye.

When I went to see my regular eye doctor for the FAA paper work he said he could find no evidence of the surgery. That is one of the pluses about PRK - after it is healed nobody can tell you had it done. PRK does not create a flap. The other advantage to PRK is despite longer healing, there is less complications than with LASIK. A lot of the complications from LASIK comes from the flap, with no flap, PRK does not have that issue.

A year later the only things I have noticed is occasional mild eye dryness. It is no worse that what it felt like to leave contacts in too long and it is solved by some eye drops. As for halos and glare it is very minor an not nearly as bad as glare from wearing glasses.

Long story short I would do it again in a heartbeat and wish I had done it years earlier.

BTW I was a -5.25 correction before.

I got PRK 2.5 years ago, 20/20 now. Was out for 3 weeks before I got back to work. To get back to work just have your surgeon fill out FAA 8500-7 and send it to the flight surgeon. Also, if you get PRK be prepared to spend another $1000 on prescription eye drops. That was something my doc didn't tell me about.

How does age factor in?
In my 40's now and am curious if I got surgery now and my eyes changed naturally in the next few years

I got PRK 2.5 years ago, 20/20 now. Was out for 3 weeks before I got back to work. To get back to work just have your surgeon fill out FAA 8500-7 and send it to the flight surgeon. Also, if you get PRK be prepared to spend another $1000 on prescription eye drops. That was something my doc didn't tell me about.

My Doc included the prescription drops in the price.

I want to have it done, but i guess the worst case scenario just scares me. Anyone know of any cases that have gone bad?

Latest resources

Back