• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Vis AND Ceiling required now?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
... Essentially, it doesn't make sense that you can shoot an approach, but you can't release it there.

Here is my take on it. If you see that your destination airport is ½sm FG OVC001, and you can initiate the approach but you know no planes have landed and all have went missed it is against that FAR to release to that airport because you KNOW that it is below landing minimums, and it is below due to the ceiling (although not required) that is preventing a visual at DH. I may be wrong, but it is what I feel the intent of the FAA is ruling on this.

This is fun. What vague FAR can we tackle next?

Here is my take on it. If you see that your destination airport is ½sm FG OVC001, and you can initiate the approach but you know no planes have landed and all have went missed it is against that FAR to release to that airport because you KNOW that it is below landing minimums, and it is below due to the ceiling (although not required) that is preventing a visual at DH. I may be wrong, but it is what I feel the intent of the FAA is ruling on this.

This is fun. What vague FAR can we tackle next?

So its a 2 hour flight. Does this still apply in your senerio? Are you going to wait for wx to improve before you launch?

Visibility is the only thing to consider when deciding to launch.....ceilings are just decision heights, since ceilings (especially associated with fog) can change so dynamically. I've launched many times with the forcast calling for ovc001 with the vis being at least 1/2. Just make damn sure you have tons of holding fuel and a good alternate....sometimes it works in your favor, sometimes it doesn't....divert, gas up, and go when the wx lifts.

So its a 2 hour flight. Does this still apply in your senerio? Are you going to wait for wx to improve before you launch?

nope, whats the trend? weather patterns? fcst to go to OVC000 (IAH & DEN #@*&!) ?

I am saying it is a factor you MUST consider even though it does not say ceiling any longer. Unless you have 3585 or CATII/III apps, you can't just push planes by pushing buttons and throw the crews and ATC into a losing situation.

I think thats all the FAA reg is saying. You all are reading way too much into this.

Latest resources

Back