• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin Turbulence

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I for one do not shop at walmart. There is no brand loyalty, or price. As a pilot, what impact do I have on the customer anyway? Do they really care about me other than if I get them there on time without scaring the crap out of them?

It is interesting that you mention walmart since that is what happening to our industry. Management expects us to subsidize the low fares and high oil prices with lower pay, poor benefits and vanishing retirements. Why shouldn't I be excited to welcome the trash on the aircraft...they did put their mostly clean wife beater on for the flight.

Pull your head out.

accinelli said:
It's no difference that most of the pilots going to Walmart to shop and then complaining about the average products and long lines (i.e. poor service) and then doing it all over again.

Classic case of the "pot calling the kettle black."

You hit it on the head when you said, "As a pilot, what impact do I have on the customer anyway? Do they really care about me other than if I get them there on time without scaring the crap out of them?"

Now with all the FAs, Ground Employees and every other forward facing employee with the same attitude -- you got a good shot of having a company that can compete with the Legacy Carriers.

One more reason we need the B6s, AirTrans, and the Virgin Americas out there.

I saw virgin turbulance and thought this was about something else.....oh well!!

Airline 101

The airline business is a labor intensive one. It takes an army of laborers to keep an airline flying day after day, year after year. There is no getting around this fact. To be a success in the airline business an airline must be led by a management team who’s primary goal is to make that airline a success. If airline employees can look to their
management team and know that team is working to make their airline a successful one they will be motivated to do whatever they can to make that happen.

So this begs the question...Why did the folks at Virgin America appoint Don Carty as Chairman of the Board?

What an error in judgment they've made by smearing the Virgin brand in the scandal-ridden reputation of Donald J. Carty.

Remember what Don Carty did to the employees of AMR a few years back (Feb. 2003)?

Former AMR CEO Don Carty revealed the details of executive-retention bonuses and pension protections just three days after most employee groups had narrowly voted to accept $1.62 billion worth of annual concessions. This after Carty made numerous pleas to his employee groups calling for "shared sacrifice".

Oh wait!!! Didn't current Virgin America CEO Fred Reid take part in a bonus plan at Delta? At Delta it was also called a "retention bonus"? Fred left Delta months after receiving the bonus! SOME RETENTION!

That's the reason Virgin America CEO Fred Reid had NO problem hiring Don Carty even though Carty was forced to resign (read FIRED) by AMR’s board for incompetence and arrogance. Fred Reid it seems shares some of the same career experiences and management-styles as Don Carty.

Here's the big problem with Virgin America...it's run by folks who have a track record of lying to then screwing over the very employee groups they've been charged with leading.

What was Richard Branson thinking hiring these two Bozos???

$$

Virgin America

Airbus gave them planes for free

VA will not have to pay for any MX for 5 years

VA doesnt have to pay for Rent

VA doesnt have to pay for fuel

Sound familiar B6 guys?

We will know its full circle when JP4user starts bashing VA

Studies prove a pax will change airlines for as little as $5 a ticket. What really blows is when startups like VA and JB come in with starter fares and we match and after they go out of business we have all that lost revenue. Why even try in the first place? There are currently too many airlines operating in the US as it is. We shure don't need any more!

Baja.

What? Huh?

accinelli "One more reason we need the B6s, AirTrans, and the Virgin Americas out there".

They are a huge part of the reason service is getting worse as an industry, not better. Regardless of what their respective management teams or employees say B6, AirTran, and VA only care about providing the lowest fare possible. To do that they have to cut cost and in many cases cut corners. Forcing the competition to do things they never thought they'd do just 2-3 years ago.

Latest resources

Back