• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin Space Shuttle Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Except the guys who took the early out from the majors, have that experience, and came to VX specifically for the opportunity to fly Virgin Space Shuttle.

Lolololol....

All Virgin pilots selected to go to the moon will be paid at first year Pilot pay of $44. You will only be paid actual block time which is the time the space ship drops to the time you come to a complete stop on the runway. Towing to the gate is not considered block time. Thank you. SRB.

Right, because $29.97/HR at Continental 737/757 with no medical bennies for 6 months is so much better. What's the first year rate pay for US Air, United, American? Most are in the 30s/HR. So when your legacy heroes are living with bankruptcy era contracts, how do you expect a new entrant to have any pay leverage?

Right, because $29.97/HR at Continental 737/757 with no medical bennies for 6 months is so much better. What's the first year rate pay for US Air, United, American? Most are in the 30s/HR. So when your legacy heroes are living with bankruptcy era contracts, how do you expect a new entrant to have any pay leverage?

Because its a major airline. No one will say anything about a major airline and they'll work there for peanuts if they have too just for that title. Just like regional captains making their announcements " Thank you for flying DELTA". Haters will be haters.

You guys would really get a kick out of our age 60+ pilots asking if they will get a shot at spaceship one. The first fire of the rocket and their saggy ass skin will be in row 10.

Lets worry about the lack of pay and benefits first and get VAPA certified. Of course that will be harder now with the lack of quality hiring that is starting to take place. Hate to say it, but what Fubi has accused of us is now taking place. The chief pilot (selling out) is now interviewing candidates, without the input of other pilots and the mins are dropping rapidly. No more TPIC required, very young and just happy to get to fly a "big shiny new jet". Also hiring corporate pilots who have no idea about airline ops, SOP, but at least they have a good attitude (read anti-union). Captains get ready, it's time to be single pilot and paid like crap.

We need to start asking the company and Chief the tough questions. Why long call reserve now (been asking for 2 yrs), why medical assistance now (been asking longer than 2 yrs), why the rush on WRAC?

If you think I am full of crap about our hiring I suggest all start investigating with our checkairmen and not the a** kissers such as our Mesa/Freedom reject. Ask how OE is going, also ask why certain individuals are being watched very closely on line checks (as in, those who are supportive of the union)? Again don't take my word for it, get involved or continue to live in dream land. Virgin is a good place to work, let's make it great.

The fight is coming.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the thrill of going sub-orbital for 6 minutes at $200k a pop is going to wear off pretty soon. Hopefully then can recoup their investment before then or translate it into something commercially viable.

You guys would really get a kick out of our age 60+ pilots asking if they will get a shot at spaceship one. The first fire of the rocket and their saggy ass skin will be in row 10.

Lets worry about the lack of pay and benefits first and get VAPA certified. Of course that will be harder now with the lack of quality hiring that is starting to take place. Hate to say it, but what Fubi has accused of us is now taking place. The chief pilot (selling out) is now interviewing candidates, without the input of other pilots and the mins are dropping rapidly. No more TPIC required, very young and just happy to get to fly a "big shiny new jet". Also hiring corporate pilots who have no idea about airline ops, SOP, but at least they have a good attitude (read anti-union). Captains get ready, it's time to be single pilot and paid like crap.

We need to start asking the company and Chief the tough questions. Why long call reserve now (been asking for 2 yrs), why medical assistance now (been asking longer than 2 yrs), why the rush on WRAC?

If you think I am full of crap about our hiring I suggest all start investigating with our checkairmen and not the a** kissers such as our Mesa/Freedom reject. Ask how OE is going, also ask why certain individuals are being watched very closely on line checks (as in, those who are supportive of the union)? Again don't take my word for it, get involved or continue to live in dream land. Virgin is a good place to work, let's make it great.

The fight is coming.
While I understand the overall message you post, it is inaccurate to say the hiring standards are "dropping rapidly." Just a few months ago, VA had the highest and most strict hourly requirements known in the past 10 years: 5000TT and 1000TPIC. No other regional, major, or legacy has published mins that high in a LONG time. Now, the minimums required are ATP and 4000 total time. That hardly qualifies as a rapid drop. These minimums match what Spirit currently requires as well. In comparison, Delta's minimums are Comm/Inst/ME ratings and 1200 total, with 1000 turbine (including SIC). US Air required only Com/Inst/ME with 1500 total, no jet or turbine requirement.

Captains get ready, it's time to be single pilot and paid like crap.
"Single pilot" is a far stretch. This isn't a regional airline hiring 250 hr pilots into a jet. MOST newhire applicants have been at several airlines now, with several thousand hours of TPIC time.

Mike Melvill was 63 when he piloted the first X-Prize spaceflight. Obviously not a typical geezer. :cool:

Well we didn't hire anybody of Melvills' quality. We hired just plain old, old dudes. Sorry, it's not an insult, just reality. By the way, I am far from being qualified to fly into space.

Last edited:
While I understand the overall message you post, it is inaccurate to say the hiring standards are "dropping rapidly." Just a few months ago, VA had the highest and most strict hourly requirements known in the past 10 years: 5000TT and 1000TPIC. No other regional, major, or legacy has published mins that high in a LONG time. Now, the minimums required are ATP and 4000 total time. That hardly qualifies as a rapid drop. These minimums match what Spirit currently requires as well. In comparison, Delta's minimums are Comm/Inst/ME ratings and 1200 total, with 1000 turbine (including SIC). US Air required only Com/Inst/ME with 1500 total, no jet or turbine requirement.

"Single pilot" is a far stretch. This isn't a regional airline hiring 250 hr pilots into a jet. MOST newhire applicants have been at several airlines now, with several thousand hours of TPIC time.

I'll repeat myself, check for yourself. The single pilot crack and disgust with the quality are their words, not mine. Not going to argue with you, check it out yourself. I pointed you in the right direction, I can't make you believe it.

Latest resources

Back