• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin Space Shuttle Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hope its true. Then a bunch of undercutters will otherwise occupied. I guess they can pay diddly because no one else is doing the same job.

Test Pilot Experience?

50% of the Galactic crews must come from Virgin America. The other 50% is open to the public. We've already have had guys flying the sim.

And you're telling us that the Virgin America pilots to be selected are graduates from a recognized test pilot school with at least 2 ½ years post-graduate flight test experience?

How about the requirement of having flown a low lift-drag ratio glider experience (read Space Shuttle)?

I'm sure VA has some fine pilots. I personally know and have flown with many VA pilots. They don't have that type of experience and neither do any of their co-workers. I could be wrong, but I think you got some bad information.

And you're telling us that the Virgin America pilots to be selected are graduates from a recognized test pilot school with at least 2 ½ years post-graduate flight test experience?

How about the requirement of having flown a low lift-drag ratio glider experience (read Space Shuttle)?

I'm sure VA has some fine pilots. I personally know and have flown with many VA pilots. They don't have that type of experience and neither do any of their co-workers. I could be wrong, but I think you got some bad information.

Except the guys who took the early out from the majors, have that experience, and came to VX specifically for the opportunity to fly Virgin Space Shuttle.

removed

Last edited:
Sorry guys, first three pilots have already been hired...

http://www.airspacemag.com/space-exploration/License-to-Thrill.html?c=y&page=2

It's all hype, marketing, whatever you want to call it. 50%? Maybe... MAYBE 5%. They only say that because they want to be able to tell passengers that your pilots are astronauts, and future pilots that they too can be astronauts and therefore accept lower pay and inferior, sometimes combative, work policies.

Don't believe the hype... even if it does happen, you are going to have to wait to get your Spaceman Spiff suit fitted.

BTW - I removed my previous post because it contained names... the attached link does too, but I didn't write them. :)

If you have been here a while, you look over your shoulder from time to time.

The key question...will bags fly free?

The reality is none of these guys have the background or training required for this type of op. If there is any brains being used for this they need to keep all the boy buck rogers wanna be's in the Bus and keep a very short leash on this thing. Let's face it, that little operation back East known as NASA had more than one or two PHD's looking into things, a couple of fairly experienced guys and maybe, just maybe a little more funding than Sir Dick and they still lost hulls and lives. What do you think will be the FAA's reaction when some life long RJ guy who has never had an airplane past 60* of roll plugs one of these things into the dessert and they find out that his only real qualification was that he was senior, connected, and small enough to fit in this thing.

Latest resources

Back