• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin Awarded Love Field Gates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WHERE WERE VA/DELTA when the WRIGHT AD was in EFFECT---I ask again WHERE were they? Southwest had a thumb on them for years out of LOVE!!!!

If SW didn't stay there would be High raise building there, condos and everyone would be under AA mercy.

VA and any airline could have come to DAL anytime and fly to a neighbor state and then any where else in the USA, but they didn't want to do that to fly to LOVE then. I am not sure what VA would get out of Love...United is going to go to SFO, ORD, EWR, IAH from Dallas Love too. Southwest wanted to go to Raleigh, Charlotte, Panama City FL, MKE, BOS,SEA, ORF, IND...to COMPETE with AA out of DFW.

Hey if VA gets the gates, the traveling folks will get more options on 4 cities versus 15 cities

The same argument could have been made about SW's growth at MDW. ATA was the dominant carrier during the remodeling and adding of capacity at the airport. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Midway_International_Airport

Business is business. Give it a rest.

Edit for clarification: SW oversaw the remodel of Love field. In addition SW backed the bonds that were used to finance the project. Airport revenues are used to repay the bonds.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/...novation-under-budget-and-early-exec-says.ece

"...The forum demonstrated the different ways that major airport construction projects can take shape. For example, Love Field's improvements are financed by a partnership between the city and Southwest. The airline backs the bonds sold for the project, and revenue from the airport will help pay them off."

S

Last edited:
There is no attraction or significant economic synergy in flying from DAL to OKC and then to someplace else. Southwest eked out a meager existence on those routes out of necessity and used a pricing advantage (low labor costs, no pensions, minimal work rules, etc..) to compete with network carriers.

There is, however, significant demand to fly from DAL to major cities. VA has a vastly superior product. It will get interesting down there. Too bad I don't have a dog in that fight any more...

The Dallas City Council met yesterday and decided to send this issue to a vote before the full City Council. I haven't heard yet when this vote will take place but I expect it to be soon. I wouldn't want to handicap which way the City Council will vote, but I would say that VX has about a 50/50 chance of getting these gates. They may even just flip a coin and tell WN and VX to call it in the air.

Yeah VA going to take over SFO, ORD, LGA…Will be going toe to toe with SW and United on those same routes.

And don't forget LAZ and DCA! ;) We will most likely add more cities in the future as more planes come on line. It will be a Fantastic market for us and the consumer. Interesting how VA is "Legally" the only carrier allowed to bid on the gates (i.e. deal with AA) and yet, the city officials feel it incumbent to try and change direction. Didn't GK say in an article that they only Wanted 16 of the 20 gates at Love? They wouldn't need more than that? What is SWA so afraid of?? I mean, we only have 53 planes?? :D So Far. ;)

The Dallas City Council met yesterday and decided to send this issue to a vote before the full City Council. I haven't heard yet when this vote will take place but I expect it to be soon. I wouldn't want to handicap which way the City Council will vote, but I would say that VX has about a 50/50 chance of getting these gates. They may even just flip a coin and tell WN and VX to call it in the air.

Yeah, city council vote, that sounds familiar...

When SWA was handed the keys to Love Field (and all competition forced off the airport) they had 2 airplanes and one foot in the grave. Look at what the leg up in Dallas has meant for them. (Yes, they've worked hard. But so have a lot of airline workers) There needs to be a certain minimum competition at DAL and Virgin deserves these gates. They've worked hard and slugged it out for years; they have a good product that will sell like hotcakes against SWA. Bottom line: In full view of the last 40 years, SWA brought the least discipline of any start up airline to this industry and got the most help becoming what they are. SWA now deserves to have to sell against a product they don't match well with.

But, looks like the back room crap is happening again.

Last edited:
Queue the black helicopters Flop.

Southwest has had a ton of help over the years, like other carriers trying to sue them to oblivion. Something about the Supreme Court but I forget. Where's Bubba.

Queue the black helicopters Flop.

Red, I know it's lost on you, but the reality is this deal stinks. Yeah, I've said a lot of stuff, but this is really happening.

Bubba is probably donning his "golden army" t shirt and renting a bus to haul your best hand wringing/clapping/waving congregation of pleaders down to Dallas city haul to try and seal the deal.

How much help did SWA get after 9/11?

Most airlines hemorrhage cash every few years. SWA has done a great job of taking few, if any, handouts.

And I don't even work there.

Latest resources

Back