• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America online test

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is. So Flyer got hired there without 1k PIC? It isn't "preferred" because there are other things on the exact same list that say "preferred" next to them.

I actually think it's a good test. It's an industry-standard typical pilot computerized test. It's not stupid crap, it's a good way to eliminate candidates who are not serious about the job or those who haven't bothered to prepare. If you want the job, you'll make sure you prepare for it. The questions are tough, but a sharp pilot with a college degree who has taken college-level math should be able to do these kinds of questions. Those who are used to things being handed to them on a silver plate will find this test very diffcult.
Ditto, the military has been very successful using screening tests to identify candidates for pilot training. We find when we hire a pilot who has been through this process of military selection, has a much better change of completing training as opposed to a pilot who has not been through a screening process.

The website needs to be updated. The mins have changed recently, and the new mins are 4000 total and an ATP. The turbine PIC is preferred, not required. My understanding is a pilot candidate can still be considered between 0 to 999 TPIC. If you're interested, apply, and you will get a link for the pre-visor test. Good luck!

Last edited:
Flyer, are you saying that more than 1000 would disqualify you?

This seems to be the way of things these days. At best it has no value, at worst, they don't want to hire you because they think you will bolt once the legacies start hiring. It's kind of like having a 737 type at this point. It's a bit frustrating that when I was an FO everyone wanted 1k turbine PIC, now the above situation is happening and I have the 1k PIC. Oh well. Keep plugging away and updating resumes. Something will pop up no doubt.

Flyer, are you saying that more than 1000 would disqualify you?

No, absolutely not true. Because keep in mind only until recently did the mins change. Before it was 5000TT and 1000TPIC as a minimum. That eliminated any FOs by default.

This seems to be the way of things these days. At best it has no value, at worst, they don't want to hire you because they think you will bolt once the legacies start hiring. It's kind of like having a 737 type at this point. It's a bit frustrating that when I was an FO everyone wanted 1k turbine PIC, now the above situation is happening and I have the 1k PIC. Oh well. Keep plugging away and updating resumes. Something will pop up no doubt.

Sadly, I believe this is true at places like Spirit, JetBlue, VA, Allegiant, etc.

They think (and probably rightly so) that you will bail to a legacy once the economy gets better. Most pilots I know don't speak of those majors as career destinations. I heard that JetBlue had somewhere around 100 PRIA requests from Fedex alone! From a hiring standpiont, it would make more sense to hire a candidate with 0-999 hrs TPIC, because then you know this individual isn't qualified for SWA or Fedex.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back