• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America Grows

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With fuel costs so high, labor costs won't matter as much. So paying their people crapola won't give them much advantage. It's just a question of how much money they want to throw at them. I figure getting that former AA exec should put the nail in the coffin for them. Funny how you don't hear about former SW execs ending up at these places?

They're fukked, pure and simple....This ain't Europe, and people could give a shat about mood lighting when they're booking online for the cheap seat. Best-o-luck though, for the boys flying the metal.

That is one freakin' huge milf, freightdog.

They're doomed anyway. They've been hiring ex-AA management.

NO ONE at AA has the slightest clue as to how to run a low-cost, high-effeciency airline.

They can build a hell of a bureaucracy, though...TC

The legacies. They seem to be filling their jets just fine; note that their load factors exceed VA

For what it is worth, "load factors" are meaningless without knowing what the yields are.

Before anyone bashes VA's "AA" management, take a moment to look at David Cush's (VA's CEO) resume. If there is anyone that understands marketing to business travelers, it would be him.

It will be interesting to see who will be left standing (not in BK) by winter.

Skipper

Who isn't running fare sales?

"The $100 million infusion gives the privately held company $400 million in shareholder-contributed capital"

Doesn't sound too thin considering they have only 18 a/c.
Thats why they need more planes, burn through that cash faster!
PBR

What the hell are they thinking? Buy high, sell low??? I swear, some investors are complete morons. This is the same mentality that investors had before real estate collapsed.
VA will probably be gone by this time next year.

Hey guys, I've had a lot of debates with guys who work at airline like Virgin (many of them on flightinfo.com) and I have to tell you, my position has been totally changed. Yup.

A growing, thriving, Virgin America is a GOOD thing for the airline industry so I was very happy to see the title of this thread pop up. We all know that airfares in this country are WAY too high. Way too high. We need airlines like Virgin America to come in, and drive airfares down. We need extra capacity in the system, and airlines like Virgin are more than happy to come in and dump some seats in selected WAY OVERPRICED city pairs like SFO to........anywhere! The SFO-LAX market, for example, NEEDED lower fares and a fare war a few months back. Thank God Virgin America came along and fixed a bad situation in the SFO-LAX market.

Further, a growing, thriving Virgin America is good for the piloting profession! You can read it on the threads on which I debated those guys. They've changed my mind. Guys at all airlines can only hope to build upon the gains made by Virgin America pilots. I haven't a clue what Alaska management was talking about when they stated that their future pilot's contract (being negotiated right now) needs to "take into consideration" the effect of low cost carriers, "......like Virgin America...." I think Alaska managment meant that the Alaska pilots can expect larger increases in their pay and retirement than otherwise would have been expected had Virgin America not existed.

I've got to say, I'm happy to see airlines like Virgin America growing. Please, please, please tell me that you guys will continue to fight for those ORD slots coming open in NOV. Every AMR and UA pilot will have their fingers crossed!

Every AMR and UA pilot will have their fingers crossed!

Is competition a bad thing?

Just a general question, why is it that VA gets bashed for new a/c (w/warrantys) first year employees (low pay), when the same thing has been occuring at Southwest? I have to think that continual growth is one of the keys to keeping costs in check. Once an airline stops the growth, is when they are potentially screwed.

Skipper

Latest resources

Back