Virgin America Grows

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is competition a bad thing?

Just a general question, why is it that VA gets bashed for new a/c (w/warrantys) first year employees (low pay), when the same thing has been occuring at Southwest? I have to think that continual growth is one of the keys to keeping costs in check. Once an airline stops the growth, is when they are potentially screwed.

Skipper

Hey Skip, I think the boat sailed without you buddy.

I'm not a VA guy either- but the best man in my wedding is there after less than stellar treatment at ATA-- i've got to tell you- UA- this industry does not owe you your top-dog position you held in the 90's--- you sold out RJ's through and through and never considered the affects of our seniority system on pilots who might get laid off-- now you complain about VA being able to find plenty of able, competent pilots?? .... i've debated that before w/ you- it'll be up to the pilot groups not to buy into the bs that mgmt throws at them- believe me- they'll find some reason to pay you less- but in the end- you need to look how you created that situation more than VA did.

No HEALTH INSURANCE FOR 6 MONTHS IS SOMETHING EVERY CAL PILOT SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF.
just b/c you can get away w/ it, doesn't make it a good idea.... and yeah... i blame CALALPA- it should be unacceptable- and it's not to you- f-ing awful... there are guys w/ families that 1st year pay and LACK OF BENEFITS over there kills

Last edited:
No HEALTH INSURANCE FOR 6 MONTHS IS SOMETHING EVERY CAL PILOT SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF.
just b/c you can get away w/ it, doesn't make it a good idea.... and yeah... i blame CALALPA- it should be unacceptable- and it's not to you- f-ing awful... there are guys w/ families that 1st year pay and LACK OF BENEFITS over there kills

Agreed. Kinda like paying for your type to get a job.

Agreed. Kinda like paying for your type to get a job.

I'm not in favor of having to buy a type, I think it's retarded. But let's be fair:

Let's see, 737 type around 7k, first year pay with full benefits around 45-50k at Southwest.

versus...

no health insurance for six months (big bucks for COBRA for family pilots, between 4800-7500$) and first year income of around 32k.

When is this retarded pay your dues mentality at CAL (or for most of the rest of the industry) going to go away. Respect your fellow professionals; negotiate to have them paid as such.

Coolyoke said it-- no it's not remotely the same-- you can get a type in any # of ways... How do you survive on $30,000 and no health insurance?

How do you justify it?

Upping 1st year pay would be a huge start to solving the problem we have in this industry of guys rolling over to management demands. It's b/c of this "1st" year tradition that guys are so unwilling to start over... It's awful.

Latest resources

Back