• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HighSpeedClimb

Virgin America Debuts First Aircraft, Jefferson Airplane, at SFO
Wednesday October 11, 4:00 am ET
Grace Slick, Gov. Schwarzenegger, and Mayor Newsom to Unveil With 'Champagne Christening'

BURLINGAME, Calif., Oct. 11, 2006 (PRIMEZONE) -- Virgin America, the new U.S. start-up airline which plans to launch domestic air service early next year, pending government approval, will debut its first aircraft at San Francisco International Airport today. The aircraft will be named Jefferson Airplane, in tribute to the legendary Bay Area rock band.
Jefferson Airplane epitomized the San Francisco scene of the mid-to-late Sixties, and in 1996 the group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was their free spirit and connection to San Francisco that inspired Virgin America to name its first plane after their legacy.
The aircraft will be officially dedicated at a special ceremony culminating in a ``champagne christening'' led by Jefferson Airplane's lead singer Grace Slick, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, and Virgin America Chief Executive Officer Fred Reid.
``When I ran for governor in the recall, I vowed to turn the economy around and help turn California back into a job creating machine. Since I took office, California has added more than 635,000 jobs,'' said Gov. Schwarzenegger. ``But I am always looking for more opportunities for California. I remember how excited I was when I heard that the Virgin brand was going to be expanding in America. What's making me happiest of all is that Virgin America is choosing San Francisco as its hub. That means 1,700 new jobs in California and that is music to my ears.''
``San Francisco is so pleased that Virgin America will make our city its home base,'' Mayor Newsom said. ``With 1000 new local jobs each year, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of new visitors that will come to our city, this airline will be an important contributor to San Francisco's future growth.''
``I went to Grammar School in San Francisco -- and I've been arrested several times in San Francisco,'' said Ms. Slick. ``If it wasn't for San Francisco, I wouldn't be able to say all of the above. Virgin America -- the only airline based in California: Git 'er done!''
``As a big Jefferson Airplane fan, I'm thrilled we're naming our first aircraft after the band. I grew up in San Francisco and spent a lot of time at the Fillmore at a lot of Jefferson Airplane concerts,'' said Mr. Reid. ``We are inspired by this city and by the band and are trying hard to take the spirit of the '60s to the air. Once the DOT grants us permission to fly, we plan to bring loads of music and caring onboard for our guests.'' Jefferson Airplane is the first of 34 Airbus A320 family aircraft the airline will put into service. Based at San Francisco International Airport, the airline plans to make its first flights to New York's JFK.

Press Release
Virgin America is Looking for a Few Good Names
Wednesday October 11, 12:00 pm ET
Online Name Game Asks for Public Suggestions for Next 33 Planes
BURLINGAME, Calif., Oct. 11, 2006 (PRIMEZONE) -- Knee-deep in the hoopla, Virgin America today debuted its first aircraft at San Francisco International Airport, named Jefferson Airplane in tribute to the legendary Bay Area rock band. Now it's up to the public to name the rest of the fleet.
Name Our Planes is an interactive, web-based program that allows users to submit their favorite names for the airline's fleet of new Airbus A320 family aircraft. Jefferson Airplane is the first of 34 brand-new planes of which the airline will take delivery. Winners will be chosen based on originality, wit and ``smile value'' and receive an airplane model decaled with their submission. Hosted on http://www.virginamerica.com, the name game not only gives users the opportunity to register their selection, but also to see how their choices compare with other players and how they are connected via profile links to other ``namers'' based on star sign, gender and other lifestyle answers. A special 'flying art' area will provide instructions to build paper planes emblazoned with their chosen names. ``We're building an airline we hope people will love,'' said Spence Kramer, Virgin America's vice president of marketing. ``We're looking at the airline business from top to bottom and are trying to take a fresh approach to improve the overall experience. For us, entertainment is as important as service, as advertising ...as anything we do for the consumer. Name Our Planes is emblematic of just one way we'll seek to connect with our future guests every step of the way.''

And they need another 50million in cash for continued legal expenses. I don't see Virgin gaining much altitude......

AAflyer (my.02)

The man behind the curtain pulling the lever is not Richard Branson, I repeat not Richard Branson :)

Even with all the hoopla, Virgin America is about 3 years too late. UAUA is out of bankruptcy and will defend its territory firmly. I understand that their PS service is actually pretty good on the transcons. Remember, Virgin isn't doing so great in the LCC market in Europe either... They are just too late and they've got two winners in management in Grienstien and Carty...

Yippee!!! Can't wait.
More low paying pilot jobs to undercut pilot jobs which used to pay. Exactly what the doctor ordered.
But I'm sure they'll be no shortage of pilots willing to fly there for next to nothing a year as an Airbus 320 captain .

Even with all the hoopla, Virgin America is about 3 years too late. UAUA is out of bankruptcy and will defend its territory firmly. I understand that their PS service is actually pretty good on the transcons. Remember, Virgin isn't doing so great in the LCC market in Europe either... They are just too late and they've got two winners in management in Grienstien and Carty...

Not Greinstien------Fred Greed. He loves RJs, and he bought 400 of them ON CREDIT for us---and we lost $15 billion in 5 years..... He sure is a genius. He and Carty are trying to figure out right now how much they can stash away in the Caymans...

Bye Bye--General Lee

With a rumored 80K a year top pay for an A320 captain, I hope like hell the majors go for blood if that disaster ever does get off the ground. Does 80K in California buy a double wide or something???

Latest resources

Back