• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America financials.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So the question is, why do people continue to throw money at VX if it's operating with such shady practices? Are they being taken for ride? Why would Branson take conditional ownership of an operation if it were operating in a shady manner? Other than the assumed "HUGE red flag" senario, is there any other possible reason they didn't file?

Thanks for all the evals.

Why do they continue to throw good money after bad? Branson and the rest of the investors are trying to get this pig to an IPO. They have the potential to make a lot of money with an IPO. That simply means that they'll be selling the company to a bunch of new bagholders.

The cash burn here is nothing short of astounding for such a small operation. The last round of additional financing was $150 million in Dec 2011. http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...gin-america-raises-cash-cushion.html?page=all
And now they've gotten another $75 million just one year later. Wow.

As far as not releasing the Q4 numbers to DOT, VX has given as a reason in the past that competitors would take advantage of the information and they requested that the release be delayed by several months compared to other carriers. The DOT allowed that for a while but finally put a stop to allowing them to delay release of their numbers.
I guess that Peter Hunt's debating on how much lipstick to put on the pig without going to jail.

The one bright spot that I saw is that VX'sr yields have improved significantly. The tradeoff was a small drop in load factors, but the yield difference more than offset the lower load factor. That's the first smart thing that I've seen from this company.

Still nothing but doom and gloom. Cfo says we are having the best 2q in the history of this company and hinted at possible net profit. Still nothing but doom and gloom.

deleted

Last edited:
Still nothing but doom and gloom. Cfo says we are having the best 2q in the history of this company and hinted at possible net profit. Still nothing but doom and gloom.

Let me be clear. Your CFO is not someone to be trusted. He has a long history of being dishonest and behaving in an unethical manner. 'Possible' net profit? Even after your quasi-bankruptcy (aka restructuring) that eliminates $20 million in debt payments/quarter?

If you think that $225 million in additional financing in 15 months isn't a problem, I'd hate to see your personal finances.

Again, show me the form 41.

OK, so VA has duped our investors out of nearly $1 billion and Branson stands to make "a lot of money" from an IPO. This sounds like the biggest con since Bernie Madoff. Someone should alert the SEC before things get out of control. Andy, this is your chance at fame and fortune. Get to work now on the book! You've already done the research. You're halfway there.

OK, so VA has duped our investors out of nearly $1 billion and Branson stands to make "a lot of money" from an IPO. This sounds like the biggest con since Bernie Madoff. Someone should alert the SEC before things get out of control. Andy, this is your chance at fame and fortune. Get to work now on the book! You've already done the research. You're halfway there.

Wow. You fly for them and don't even know their Airline Designator Code? VA is Virgin Australia, Einstein. http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/about-us/legal-policies/conditions-of-carriage/

It's not 'nearly' $1 billion; VX has 'only' burned through a bit more than $700 million CASH. That's not creative accounting; that's simply investor cash; the guys pushing for the IPO.

And as far as this goes, this is pretty normal business operations for the ethically challenged. The airline industry seems to be a magnet for ethically challenged management.
If you do a bit of research Sir Richard Branson, you will find plenty of times that he's been ethically challenged. Including not paying taxes that he was collecting on his record business until he got caught and was almost prosecuted for it; he was arrested and jailed for a day. The charges were dropped after his mother mortgaged her house to pay the back taxes.

Andy, that's why you're going to be the guy writing the book and I'm just a stupid airline captain -- you know your two letter codes! Editors love that attention to detail.

I can't wait to see your first CNBC interview... "Today we have as our guest Andy. He's a well known airline forum guru and the author of the current best seller 'Virgin?! The Not So Immaculate Conception'..."

I can see that my previous response was too complex for you to grasp. So let me state it more simply. If you're not intelligent enough to even know your own airline's designator code, you are definitely not intelligent enough to discuss the topic at hand. Better to remain silent and ...

Ignore everything I've written; there's no financial turbulence ahead for VX. War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength. You are a flag bearer for an Orwellian utopia.

Well Andy, you did say at one point there was no possible way we could have made an operational profit 4q2012. Yet, here we are. Is it possible you don't have all of the financial inner workings of VX? Also, is it possible he uses the VA abbreviation with friends and family because it is easier and it just slipped on the forum here?

I don't think you understand what I'm saying about bridge loans in Q4 and Q1. I suspect that's what got them through and then they paid them off with some or all of the $75 million. There's no mention of other loans because they were paid off with some of the $75 million
Let me put it this way: Q4 and Q1 had a combined net loss of $71.378 million, yet they only burned through $17 million cash? Unpossible; Hunt used some cheap accounting tricks.

I looked at Q4's form 41s today. There's no information for VX. HUGE red flag. That means that they asked for an exemption to submit the data after the due date.

The DOT released this on May 14:

Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Largest Airlines Report Smaller Net Loss in 4th Quarter of 2012

Largest airlines. The DOT hasn't included VX in largest airline.

They have included them in LCC releases:

March 12, 2012
3rd-Quarter 2011 Airline Financial Data: Network Airlines, Low-Cost Airlines and Regional Airlines All Report Profits

as an example.

Latest resources

Back