Virgin America at ORD job fair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Then they were not that good

Yes the sole determining factor whether a pilot is a good fit or not is a computerized problem solving test developed by some HR geek with too much time on their hands. Flight experience, leadership skills, education and internal recommendations have no bearing...

Yes the sole determining factor whether a pilot is a good fit or not is a computerized problem solving test developed by some HR geek with too much time on their hands. Flight experience, leadership skills, education and internal recommendations have no bearing...

Well, I didnt say that. But the people giving out jobs think that a pilot should have more qualities than what you list. One way to determine that is a computerized test developed by some HR geek.

I hate taking those tests as much as any one, but there are ways to prepare for them and show that you want the job more than the next guy.

I get tired of hearing that a "good guy" didnt get hired somewhere. The whole reason for the interview is to determine if the candidate is a "good guy" for that particular company. Just because he is your friend does not make him a good fit for a company.

That is all....I have spoken.

Well, I didnt say that. But the people giving out jobs think that a pilot should have more qualities than what you list. One way to determine that is a computerized test developed by some HR geek.

I hate taking those tests as much as any one, but there are ways to prepare for them and show that you want the job more than the next guy.

I get tired of hearing that a "good guy" didnt get hired somewhere. The whole reason for the interview is to determine if the candidate is a "good guy" for that particular company. Just because he is your friend does not make him a good fit for a company.

That is all....I have spoken.

That is the problem, a guy does not even get the chance to present himself at an interview so human beings can decide if a person may or may not be a good fit for the company. In short there is one person who determines whether a person gets to interview and that is the HR computer geek who administers this test, a person with zero experience in aviation, a person who has no knowledge of how the candidate is to work with. I would not have a problem with the test if it were simply a component in evaluating the entire person but it is not. It is the SOLE factor in determining whether a pilot even gets to present himself in person to the pilots and other team members who he might be working with.

I know, it is a gate keeper program so the company can reduce the pool of potential candidates and thus cut expenses. But I fear a company like Virgin America will very quickly lose the ability to be picky (in fact this is already happening). In the mean time several quality candidates who were highly recommended by pilots at this company have found jobs at other companies like JetBlue, Spirit, Southwest and USAirways. Turnover at VX has skyrocketed in recent months, that is part of the reason hiring is continuing as opposed to the plan to just run a few classes. The first two classes in this recent wave did not even cover attrition for March and April. As hiring at larger carriers picks up the attrition will get worse and in the mean time VX is using this silly little HR program to filter out several experienced candidates who live close to our bases and really want to come work for us.

That is the problem, a guy does not even get the chance to present himself at an interview so human beings can decide if a person may or may not be a good fit for the company. In short there is one person who determines whether a person gets to interview and that is the HR computer geek who administers this test, a person with zero experience in aviation, a person who has no knowledge of how the candidate is to work with. I would not have a problem with the test if it were simply a component in evaluating the entire person but it is not. It is the SOLE factor in determining whether a pilot even gets to present himself in person to the pilots and other team members who he might be working with.

I know, it is a gate keeper program so the company can reduce the pool of potential candidates and thus cut expenses. But I fear a company like Virgin America will very quickly lose the ability to be picky (in fact this is already happening). In the mean time several quality candidates who were highly recommended by pilots at this company have found jobs at other companies like JetBlue, Spirit, Southwest and USAirways. Turnover at VX has skyrocketed in recent months, that is part of the reason hiring is continuing as opposed to the plan to just run a few classes. The first two classes in this recent wave did not even cover attrition for March and April. As hiring at larger carriers picks up the attrition will get worse and in the mean time VX is using this silly little HR program to filter out several experienced candidates who live close to our bases and really want to come work for us.

Couldnt agree more with you..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

+1

Peace.

Rekks

Latest resources

Back