• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America 2Q loss $31.7 million

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just a little reminder that this slowing of growth has long been planned, and is not a reaction to anything recent. The draw down of 3% in Q1 of 2013 is, but the slowing of deliveries has been planned for well over two years. I even stated ten months ago on this forum that we would slow growth and aircraft deliveries from the summer of 2012 until fall of 2013. So there is no need to get all reactionary and predict the sky is falling. The recent articles which cite the email from Cush about the slowdown leave out several parts of it, including the statements that we were profitable in quarter 3 and that things look even better for quarter 4, and the statements that our cash and financial backing are sound. Funny how those statements were omitted in the articles...

Anyhow, my statement posted on FI back on January 15,2012:

[FONT=&quot]"And yes folks, for the record we already know the growth will stop in June until September 2013 - and we have known for almost a year now of that upcoming break. So for those of you who will post in June or July (and I am sure many of you will) that our stopping growth is a sign of impending doom, I will re-post this statement as a reminder that this was a long planned slowdown."

LINK:[/FONT]http://forums.flightinfo.com/showpost.php?p=2259344&postcount=6

Last edited:
Haters always gonna hate. Some of those haters are either interview rejects or can't get a call and then get bitter at VA.

Just a little reminder that this slowing of growth has long been planned, and is not a reaction to anything recent. The draw down of 3% in Q1 of 2013 is, but the slowing of deliveries has been planned for well over two years. I even stated ten months ago on this forum that we would slow growth and aircraft deliveries from the summer of 2012 until fall of 2013. So there is no need to get all reactionary and predict the sky is falling. The recent articles which cite the email from Cush about the slowdown leave out several parts of it, including the statements that we were profitable in quarter 3 and that things look even better for quarter 4, and the statements that our cash and financial backing are sound. Funny how those statements were omitted in the articles...

Anyhow, my statement posted on FI back on January 15,2012:

[FONT=&quot]"And yes folks, for the record we already know the growth will stop in June until September 2013 - and we have known for almost a year now of that upcoming break. So for those of you who will post in June or July (and I am sure many of you will) that our stopping growth is a sign of impending doom, I will re-post this statement as a reminder that this was a long planned slowdown."

LINK:[/FONT]http://forums.flightinfo.com/showpost.php?p=2259344&postcount=6

Does that mean the VA will not have a positive net income margin?

Kind of old news, not sure why it never got posted.

This brings their total loss for the first half of the year to over $100 million, on operating revenue of around $600 million, despite the cost of fuel going down vs 2011. That's just plain bad, although the spin in the press release is priceless as they try to find good things to say.

I hate to predict bad things happening to good pilots, but at this point their total debt must me threating to swallow them up. They are paying roughly $300,000 per day just to service their debt and have shown no signs of profitability.

http://www.virginamerica.com/press-release/2012/virgin-america-2012-second-quarter-results.html

That's a lot of of math there coming from a no-integrity eastie pilot. What about your net loss in pay ever since ditching the Nicolau? How many millions did East lose in pay/QOL over their DOH dream? And remember, no matter what happens to VA, binding still means binding....

Free markets solve more problems than they create. The strong survive, the weak fail.

I'm sure plenty of you communists would love regulation to return, as long as you were in the minority that remained employed.

Those who would lose their jobs? "Taking one for the Team", right?

Here's a clue for some of you bedwetters:

Companies exist to drive the economy, not to guarantee good pilot jobs. Do you cry for manufacturers when they have to drop the price of their goods in order to compete with lower-priced products?

The aviation industry exists for the public good, to provide the maximum number of citizens access to air travel, not so that self-important pilots can earn high salaries.

I am a union pilot, and believe me, I will try to earn as much as I can, and will use every lawful means to increase my compensation.

But I can't fault company owners and stockholders for trying to do the same thing themselves. If People's Express is starting up again, they should do so to make a profit for their owners, not so that pilots (most of whom think the world revolves around them) can make money.

You will make what the market determines. Think you should make more? Go for it, I hope you do. But don't whine when other people attempt to maximize the return on their own investment.

Look at the effeminate and petulantly childish europeans - they feel entitled to high wages, large pensions, long vacations, and 100% job security. What a bunch of babies.

And in their typical adolescent minds, "the rich" and "big corporations" have unlimited funds to make their desired lifestyle possible. This is just envy, plain and simple.

Life isn't fair. If this bothers you, then move to another planet.

Comrade, what you've just describe is the communist (Chinese) version of the capitalist markets, even while you're running around labeling everyone else as communist. American capitalism was about the balance created by the middleclass, until the livin'thesim minds came along religating that engine to mere subservants of debt.

Fart away!!!

Comrade, what you've just describe is the communist (Chinese) version of the capitalist markets, even while you're running around labeling everyone else as communist. American capitalism was about the balance created by the middleclass, until the livin'thesim minds came along religating that engine to mere subservants of debt.

Fart away!!!

Very well said. If you want that kind of world go live in China.

Before 1978, the airlines worked just fine and made plenty of money both for the company and the pilot. There is a balance, and with the gigantic capital costs of running an airline, a little price regulation would go a long way to creating a safer and more stable industry.

It's probably got a little to do with the "they'll work for peanuts, why won't you?" thing. Spare us the "lost jobs" B.S. Everyone who whored themselves out to Sir Dick had a job when they bent over for a bigger jet.

Guess you would rather collect unemployment and scratch your balls then work. I am sure everybody over at VX saw a big jet and went running!

There is a balance, and with the gigantic capital costs of running an airline, a little price regulation would go a long way to creating a safer and more stable industry.

Yea and that regulation is called "the free market", which we do not have in the airline industry, and are rapidly losing elsewhere in our economy.

Which is why our economy sucks now.

Latest resources

Back