• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America 1Q loss $76 million

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The name on the side of the planes say VIRGIN. That is tied to Branson. There are a hundreds of thousands of ways he can help. (and you better believe he knows how important that brand is to his name) Is it legal? Probably not. I'm not naive enough to think he isn't doing something behind the scenes. He's definitely smart enough to not get caught. That's my take, yours might be different. I would think that even most VA employees think the same.

Supposedly, the "Bearded One" has personally guaranteed that the investors will be made whole, whatever the cost. Rumor, truth, who knows?

49M operating loss, 76M net loss on 267M gross revenue. 111M in unrestricted cash left. Someone had better be writing Mr. Cush a big, fat check soon. Another quarter or two like that and guys might not have time to bail before any significant hiring starts at other airlines.

And even more annoyingly, Mr. Cush didn't put a Consolidated Statement of Earnings table in his latest press release so that one can make comparisons to previous quarters. Lame.

Maybe so but I'm curious as to how a public offering of a company that has been consistently unprofitable goes.

Best of luck to all at VA. Some great people there.

It wouldn't go at all, they will need to establish a track record of profitability prior to having a shot at a successful IPO. That's what I'm saying, I think that the investors are willing to keep shoveling in the cash until that happens even if it's years from now, seems crazy but they show no signs of giving up.

Branson isn't the only one who has dumped money into this pig. Hedge funds dumped $150M into VA in Dec 2011. The hedge funds will want to IPO VA in order to recover some of their investment.

VA's cash burn is now out of control. In spite of borrowing $150M in Dec, they ended 4Q2011 with $160M in unrestricted cash. They ended 1Q2012 with $111M in unrestricted cash. One more quarter like that and they'll need another truckload of money to burn.

VA may be adding capacity but they're having to slash fares in order to fill their planes. In spite of higher fuel prices, the average fare for VA went from $182.46 in 1Q2011 to $168.11 in 1Q2012.
Plus UAL is adding capacity out of SFO - I'd be surprised if a lot of UAL's capacity increases aren't aimed directly at VA routes.

Perhaps VA will put some lipstick on one or two quarterly reports to show a 'profit' and then IPO it out to the public.

Branson isn't the only one who has dumped money into this pig. Hedge funds dumped $150M into VA in Dec 2011. The hedge funds will want to IPO VA in order to recover some of their investment.

VA's cash burn is now out of control. In spite of borrowing $150M in Dec, they ended 4Q2011 with $160M in unrestricted cash. They ended 1Q2012 with $111M in unrestricted cash. One more quarter like that and they'll need another truckload of money to burn.

VA may be adding capacity but they're having to slash fares in order to fill their planes. In spite of higher fuel prices, the average fare for VA went from $182.46 in 1Q2011 to $168.11 in 1Q2012.
Plus UAL is adding capacity out of SFO - I'd be surprised if a lot of UAL's capacity increases aren't aimed directly at VA routes.

Perhaps VA will put some lipstick on one or two quarterly reports to show a 'profit' and then IPO it out to the public.

Agreed-CASM increased 5.3% (and should only go higher) and their operating margin went from -14% to -18%. The high capacity still in the market will make this very difficult to turn around.

Last edited:
It absolutely amazes me that Southwest Pilots get on a Virgin America thread to bash them and turns the tables on Delta saying that we hurt the industry....

Once again.....no retirement, no holding pay, FARs for workrules, no meals, Pay for training.....and the list goes on and on.....but they sure do let all their friends know how much they make......pathetic these aholes get on here pointing the finger at a Virgin Pilot!

Enjoy the right seat wave.....it's going to be a long wait for the left!!!

Latest resources

Back