Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Video of Congressional Hearings. Watch This!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does anybody really think 1500 hours for an FO to get hired is going to make things safer for anyone?

I don't see how a few hundred hours of extra instructing time or however the pilot is time building makes a bit of difference.

What REALLY needs to be addressed are UPGRADE times not initial hire times.

I don't have a ton of experience, but I've seen a lot of guys upgrade way too quickly including moving from captain on one type to captain on another type without ever flying as an FO on the new airplane, that's nuts.... that in my opinion is what needs to change, not entry level times! Upgrade times need to increase, and FO pay has to increase to allow a longer learning periods at the regionals.

I disagree. I went from BA3200 CA to BA4100 CA, no big deal. I went from L1011 FO, to B757 FO/IO, to B737 CA in less than a year. No burps, no worries. I also had over 7000 hours at the time. It really depends on the training. There is also value to spending plenty of time as CA on one before moving to the other. That's the company's problem. Should be the union's too, but it isn't.

I disagree. I went from BA3200 CA to BA4100 CA, no big deal. I went from L1011 FO, to B757 FO/IO, to B737 CA in less than a year. No burps, no worries. I also had over 7000 hours at the time. It really depends on the training. There is also value to spending plenty of time as CA on one before moving to the other. That's the company's problem. Should be the union's too, but it isn't.

Agreed... I do know several guys like yourself that had accumulated experience over the years, that is THE best way, there is no substitute. You can't get it in most of the time building tried and true methods outside of the airlines and the environment they operate in. Once you get to a certain level, that type of move is as you say no big deal. The guy I was referring to was one of those that only flew at a regional for a couple of years before making the move to a much bigger airplane, just something about that doesn't seem right to me.

I just feel that accumulating experience in the GA world whether it be 1500 hours or 5000 is not the same, it doesn't have the same purpose or mission as the airlines do, nor does it operate in the same conditions or at the same pace.

So my point is (and again, i don't have a ton of experience on the subject) that I don't think it matters how many hours guys have to get the job, it's the experience and hours that they should have before becoming captain that makes the difference... Several European carriers have ab-initio programs and they work out just fine... just my 2 cents worth, right or wrong...

So my point is (and again, i don't have a ton of experience on the subject) that I don't think it matters how many hours guys have to get the job, it's the experience and hours that they should have before becoming captain that makes the difference...

I would have liked another 3-400 hours before getting hired. Simple things were rusty that I only did a few times over the previous 7 years, like getting clearances and releases at non-towered airports. Obviously that's not included in your type rating.

I did well in training but the fact is experience teaches you what you don't know...and after 2 years I'm starting to realize what I don't know. When I was first hired, I didn't even know what I didn't know and I think that was a directly relative to my inexperience.

Latest resources

Back