• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Video of ANA pilots flying 787 for first time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am currently flying for ANA, and a lot of "gaijin" pilots, including myself refuse to wear that stupid school crossing gaurd vest during a walk around. If you can't see me walkin' around the dang airplane with a white shirt on you shouldn't be allowed on the ramp. I also tried the gloves, but out of spite now, refuse to wear them now.

When I was flying freight, one of our FO's got busted in Brussels (by an EU official) for not wearing the vest on the walk around. At my current employer, we have the glow in the dark vest on every airplane, it's ICAO standard to wear it and many countries enforce this rule. Your "Sojushi" may write you up one of these days for not wearing the vest (I thought ANA had strict training standards?)

Last edited:
When I was flying freight, one of our FO's got busted in Brussels (by an EU official) for not wearing the vest on the walk around. At my current employer, we have the glow in the dark vest on every airplane, it's ICAO standard to wear it and many countries enforce this rule. Your "Sojushi" may write you up one of these days for not wearing the vest (I thought ANA had strict training standards?)

It is in fact ICAO standard and it is required by the airport authority, not only that but if you suffer an accident on the ramp you, not the company will be fined and since the airport authority's accident report is what the insurance will require to pay your claim, guess what the airport police will submit on the report. As a foreigner in Japan, knowingly violating security mandates by the airport authorities is an invitation to huge liability, this is definitely not the same as not wearing your hat

Yep. Don't mess around on the walk-around. Just wear the vest. Who are you going to impress on the ramp in KIX or ICN or PDG? The old lady on cleaning bike?

Not to hijack the thread, but It's just like most things with the airlines, I wear the vest because my airline pays me HUGE amounts of money to feed my family for very little "work", thus I do what they say do, no problem. Don't want to wear the vest? Open your own taco stand!

Not to hijack the thread, but It's just like most things with the airlines, I wear the vest because my airline pays me HUGE amounts of money to feed my family for very little "work", thus I do what they say do, no problem. Don't want to wear the vest? Open your own taco stand!

What are these "huge amounts of money" that you speak of? I do not understand the phrase.

Thurman...do you have a "Fu Man Chu" mustache and a Samari sword? :laugh:

You can get away with goatee's and beard. A lot of times we'll grow them, the Japanese associate them with being a gangster. I guess it's a Yokuza thing. Also the wearing of sunglasses has a similar connotation. A lot of the Copilots will not put on sunglasses until the passengers finish boarding and are no longer in view. One Japanese copilot got yelled at by a Japanese Captain for wearing sunglasses during a walk around. He responded with, "but gaijin Captain wear during walkaround..." To which the Japanese Captain replied, "because gaijin have weak eyes..." I fly the Dash 8 and relations are not as friendly as with big brother ANA. We butt heads a lot down in Osaka, but that is another thread all together.

I'm not feeling all the excitement about the 787. What's all the fuss about? It's new, that's cool I guess. It has lots of composite construction. Okay, so what. What is so special about this airplane that has everybody's panties all twisted other than it's the first new Boeing in a generation? How is it significantly different than anything else? I recognize how the lighter weight composites will affect range/performance but what else is new?

A lot of the Copilots will not put on sunglasses until the passengers finish boarding and are no longer in view. One Japanese copilot got yelled at by a Japanese Captain for wearing sunglasses during a walk around. He responded with, "but gaijin Captain wear during walkaround..." To which the Japanese Captain replied, "because gaijin have weak eyes..."

Jeeezzzz!!! please spread the word that before they transfer to mainline ANA or Air Japan they need to chill, if not they will get a "relax son, this is not JAL" :laugh:

Latest resources

Back