• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Video of an ILS failure and CRM

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, glad they saved the day!! Hate to think what would have happened if one was flying single pilot IFR down to 200 ft as freight dawgs often do!! I am always a pesimist myself and have thought about what I;d do if I did get a false ILS as this crew did and certainly they did the right thing by going missed!! I ALWAYS check the VS compared to the GS and make sure the two matchup. The VS should be approx 1/2 the GS times 10. If I have any intuition that this doesn't match, I go around. PERIOD!! Certainly a good lesson for all of us!

Very interesting video. I learned a thing or two from this. Well worth the watch. But what was wrong with the GS, and how would that make them close to the island.

Last edited:
Although not mentioned, intercepting the GS too high can cause excessively high descent rates and lead to false indications.

Has anyone ever encountered this phenomenon?

Couldn't it be a vehicle or something momentarily interfering with the signal?

I've got a dumb question... What does it mean when a navaid such as the ILS is unmonitored? Does that mean appch control is not going to keep an eye on your glideslope?

EDIT:
Ok, I just found the definition:
5-3-5. UNMONITORED NAVAIDs
a. All VOR, VORTAC, and ILS equipment in the NAS have automatic monitoring and shutdown features in the event of malfunction. Unmonitored, as used in this order, means that the personnel responsible for monitoring the facility have lost aural and visual monitoring capabilities and cannot observe the status of the facility. It does not refer to the automatic monitoring feature.​
b. When a navigational aid's operational status cannot be monitored at the controlling or monitoring facility, but all indications or reports are the facility is operating normally, issue a NOTAM placing the aid in an unmonitored status.​
c. When issuing a NOTAM describing a facility as unmonitored, do not use the category of monitor, only the contraction UNMNT.​
EXAMPLE-
!DCA LDN VOR UNMNT
d. If the NAVAID is reported as being out of service, the unmonitored NOTAM shall be canceled.​

A little trivia, the reason some aiports are unusable as an IFR alternate (N/A) is that the facility the approach is based upon is unmonitored.

Amish RakeFight said:
Although not mentioned, intercepting the GS too high can cause excessively high descent rates and lead to false indications.

Has anyone ever encountered this phenomenon?

During my IR training Night X/C, intercepted above and got the wrong gs indication. My CFII knew it, but let me take it until I caught it when I crosschecked altitudes on the plate at the fix. Classic false gs scenario.

Latest resources

Back