Video: Flying the An-2

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crash-proof

Cruising around with Yahoo's video search I found this cool vid on some german site where a flight onboard an AN-2 is taped from inside. The startup sequence is really cool, looks like they're having a b!tch of a time getting her started. They also switch to outside views as well. I'd love to own one of these ugly beasts!

Enjoy the flying garbage truck!
http://jweiland.net/uploads/media/Antonov2b_01.wmv

cool video. thanks. sounds like starting some of the pos 172s i fly. took em awhile to get it started, though it sounded awsome.

Some years back I met a FlexJet pilot who used to fly those things in the Polish Air Force, before the fall of the Iron Curtain. One day he took one and flew his family and a bunch of other people to Austria. He said they wanted to fly to West Germany, but they damaged the plane and started leaking fuel soon after takeoff when they "flew through" a big tree while trying to climb out of a blind canyon. He had some interesting stories!

BTW, the Austrians were "neutral" in the Cold War and, not wanting to offend the Soviets, threw the pilots in prison.

Flew the AN2..... ok..paid some colorful money with some D-Marks thrown in... and took a ride and flew it a little... dude came in at pattern altitude over the numbers..dumped the flaps and landed... amazing....

The hissing sound heard at the end of the clip is the pneaumatic brakes. As the camera pans the cockpit, the viewer can see a thin lever that conforms to the outside handle of both yokes. This is the brake lever.

This is as I recall, if there are AN2 guru's out there..please correct or upgrade my info....

The AN2 was also license to the Chinese for manufacture. It is quit an airplane and was crtical to suppying romote areas int he Soviet area..probably still today.

There was a movement to import the AN2 to the US for skydiving but more importantly bush operations in Alaska, etc... However, I think there was politics with the FAA.... Anyone know more??

Rezfully yours....

Last edited:
Oh man, I love those old planes. I've only been around a couple of them, but they are truly on HELL of a workhorse! I guess they have been used for everything from passenger and cargo, to bush flying, to cropdusting and firefighting. And for a round motor fanatic, there is NOTHING like the sound of a big radial with an inertial starter! Cantankerous on occasion, yes, but oh so satisfying when she lites off!

Rez O. Lewshun said:
There was a movement to import the AN2 to the US for skydiving but more importantly bush operations in Alaska, etc... However, I think there was politics with the FAA.... Anyone know more??

Rezfully yours....

I read on a site devoted to the AN-2 that the protectionist move by the FAA was to protect our local industry from potentially 1,000s of dirt cheap An-2 flying in and be used for bushflying, cropdusting, flyin freight, etc. Don't remember the details, might be a little embelishment...

Found the site....with a flight report, a must-read:
http://www.seqair.com/Other/UnFalco/UnFalco.html

What was the guy with the handle doing? Revving up the intertia starter? Hey no batteries needed!

No, that handle the copilot is pumping is the engine primer. The inertial starter is energized with a two way switch on the panel. The switch the pilot was turning with his left hand... turn it left to energize, right to engage... if memory serves me correctly.

agpilot34 said:
No, that handle the copilot is pumping is the engine primer. The inertial starter is energized with a two way switch on the panel. The switch the pilot was turning with his left hand... turn it left to energize, right to engage... if memory serves me correctly.

You are correct sir. Man, that is some weird backround noise in that video. Nice link, thanks!

Sounds like air brakes at the end, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back