Vicodin?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Positive Rate

Anyone know if you ve been perscribed vicodin....and of course take it...should I not work a certain time after being off of vicodin...so I dont fail a drug test?

The Dr.(not an AME) said I should be completly off of it for 24 hours before going back to work...

any thoughts or input?

Thanks!!!

Anyone know if you ve been perscribed vicodin....and of course take it...should I not work a certain time after being off of vicodin...so I dont fail a drug test?

The Dr.(not an AME) said I should be completly off of it for 24 hours before going back to work...

any thoughts or input?

Thanks!!!

You should be completely off of it for 24 hours before going back to work.

The "fail a drug test" should not be a concern.

If it was legally prescribed (to you), then you are allowed to take it, and therefore it may be indicated in a drug test.

The Medical Officer at the drug lab (a physician) will call you if the results are positive. You tell them that you were prescribed Vicodin, they verify it. No Problemo.

As previously stated, you don't want to be under the effects when flying.

The half-life of Vicodin is 3.8 hours. Every 3.8 hours the drug is metabolized and half of it is excreted.

If you take 10 mg:

After 3.8 hrs. you'll have 5 mgs. in your system.

3.8 hrs later (7.6 hrs from dose), you'll have 2.5 in your system.

3.8 hrs. later (11.4) hrs from dose), you'll have 1.25 left in your system.

...and so on.

Every drug has a half-life and from it you can determine how much of a particular drug is still in your system.

Drugs with very short half-lifes, produce the most severe withdrawals, due to the rapid excrection of the substance from your system and the recalibration your body undergoes as it compensates for the change in chemistry the drug induced.

Amish,

You not only know what Vicodin is, but can calculate the half-life?

I think I'm in love.

As for the Vicodin, just to be safe I'd wait 48 hours to fly (just in case there is a surprise drug test), but you should have no effects mentally or physically after 24. Even if it is prescribed to you, and you have a positive drug test, who needs the headache??

Until then, enjoy,

The Naughty Nurse

any thoughts or input?

Thanks!!!

Have a normal prescription for it and use it as needed. Have had 2 AME's and the FAA Aeromedical Division clarify that is the same as alcohol 8 hours. HOWEVER--- if you have un-normal side effects after taking it you CANNOT fly until they subside-just like a hangover, I take them right up to 8 hours and they do not bother me. Everyone's body is diffrent though.

Latest resources

Back