VFR departure from non-towered airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotyip

The airport has a left hand traffic pattern. I want to make a right turn out after departure. How far and at what altitude do I have to be from the airport before I make my right turn? I have been using 1 mile and 300' below the traffic pattern altitude. Whats more I have been teaching my students this for 30 years. I was recently told by another CFI that this was not in keeping with proper departure procedures. Any comments?

Last edited:
http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim/Chap4/aim0403.html

AIM 4-3-2 describes segments of the traffic pattern, and the departure leg of the traffic pattern as follows:

Departure leg. The flight path which begins after takeoff and continues straight ahead along the extended runway centerline. The departure climb continues until reaching a point at least 1/2 mile beyond the departure end of the runway and within 300 feet of the traffic pattern altitude.

However, the above paragraph does not describe a right-hand exit from a left traffic pattern. The recommended entry, operation in, and exit of a traffic pattern is found in AIM 4-3-3, with diagrams, and is described as follows:

Key to traffic pattern operations

1. Enter pattern in level flight, abeam the midpoint of the runway, at pattern altitude. (1,000' AGL is recommended pattern altitude unless established otherwise. . .)

2. Maintain pattern altitude until abeam approach end of the landing runway on downwind leg.

3. Complete turn to final at least 1/4 mile from the runway.

4. Continue straight ahead until beyond departure end of runway.

5. If remaining in the traffic pattern, commence turn to crosswind leg beyond the departure end of the runway within 300 feet of pattern altitude.

6. If departing the traffic pattern, continue straight out, or exit with a 45 degree turn (to the left when in a left-hand traffic pattern; to the right when in a right-hand traffic pattern) beyond the departure end of the runway, after reaching pattern altitude.

Note that two pattern departures are described: the straight-out deprature, or a 45 degree exit left, in a left hand pattern. From a regulatory perspective, there is no requirement to execute either one, and we all know that crosswind and downwind departures are common at most uncontrolled fields.

The only regulatory requirement for traffic pattern observance comes from 14 CFR Part 91.126, and this stipulate that one must make turns to the left unless otherwise specified, as follows:

§ 91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.

(a) General. Unless otherwise authorized or required, each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class G airspace area must comply with the requirements of this section.
(b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower in Class G airspace—
(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right; and

The regulation here could be worded just a little better, particularly 91.126(a), which states "on or in the vicinity of an airport." This suggests by construction of language that the regulation applies not only to the airport traffic pattern, but to aircraft on the airport (as opposed to over it)...and we know very well that making only left hand turns while on the surface is not only an extreme inconvenience but in many cases a physical impossibility.

What the regulation does not do is address traffic pattern departures. It simply provides a blanket coverage for operations "in the vicinity of" the airport. "Vicinity" isn't defined in Part 91, or in Part 1. This does suggest that one should leave the vicinity of the airport before executing a turn contrary to the traffic pattern, however. Where left traffic is in play for the runway in use, then one should not be in the vicinity of the airfield if one intends to make a right departure.

From a practical point of view, if one elects to make a right turn on the departure leg, while 300' below the traffic pattern, this places one turning directly into traffic which might be entering the pattern on crosswind leg, or turning from an upwind to a crosswind leg...and climbing directly into that traffic's path. Additionally, if other traffic is approaching the opposing runway (you're departing runway 13, and other traffic is flying a pattern for 31, for example), you're turning into that traffic's pattern.

A good, conservative answer is that per the AIM and the regulation, if you intend to perform a right hand turn, it shouldn't be done below the traffic pattern altitude, and shouldn't be done until one has flown out beyond the vicinity of the airport (eg, left the traffic pattern).

that is the question when is one clear of the traffic pattern to turn right 1 mile, 2 mile?

As stated previously, no definition of "vicinity" is provided. However, knowing that a one mile traffic pattern isn't uncommon, making the turn at one mile puts you the wrong way in the traffic pattern.

Perhaps a better guideline rather than distance itself, is altitude. Turning 300' below traffic pattern puts you climbing into oncoming traffic, whereas climbing out above traffic and the turning puts you above and away from the traffic pattern. I would submit that not only is distance in DME or miles from the airport part of "vicinity," but so is altitude.

sounds fuzzy

As stated previously, no definition of "vicinity" is provided. However, knowing that a one mile traffic pattern isn't uncommon, making the turn at one mile puts you the wrong way in the traffic pattern.

Perhaps a better guideline rather than distance itself, is altitude. Turning 300' below traffic pattern puts you climbing into oncoming traffic, whereas climbing out above traffic and the turning puts you above and away from the traffic pattern. I would submit that not only is distance in DME or miles from the airport part of "vicinity," but so is altitude.
Sounds pretty fuzzy on what decides vicinity. I am climbing my MGTOW C-150 on a hot day, I am over 2 miles from the field when I reach 300' below pattern altitude, can I make a right turn now, I do not considered myself in the vicinity?

Yip,

Whereas you're the holder of a master's degree and apparently have shown some penchant for perception on at least a semi-official level at some point, must I really state for the third time that "vicinity" is not defined?

Figure it out.

The regulation here could be worded just a little better, particularly 91.126(a), which states "on or in the vicinity of an airport." This suggests by construction of language that the regulation applies not only to the airport traffic pattern, but to aircraft on the airport (as opposed to over it).

Aircraft on the ground or aircraft departing while they are in the vicinity of the airport, are not approaching the airport to land. There is no regulation which says if you take off with no intent to land at the departure airport what direction your turns must be (aside from 91.13).

Yip,

Whereas you're the holder of a master's degree and apparently have shown some penchant for perception on at least a semi-official level at some point, must I really state for the third time that "vicinity" is not defined?

Figure it out.
I agree, and we must agree it is fuzzy

The airport has a left hand traffic pattern. I want to make a right turn out after departure. How far and at what altitude do I have to be from the airport before I make my right turn? I have been using 1 mile and 300' below the traffic pattern altitude. Whats more I have been teaching my students this for 30 years. I was recently told by another CFI that this was not in keeping with proper departure procedures. Any comments?
Even though not technically "regulatory", the AIM recommendation defines good operating practice and should probably be followed.

If you're IFR, you should also follow the 400' before turn procedure that guaranties obstacle clearance rule before making a turn in any direction. AIM 5-2-8(b)(1).

As has already been pointed out, the 91.126 requirement for left turns is "When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower in Class G airspace. and doesn't apply to takeoff.

But I have a question: what did the other CFI says was the proper departure procedure and what was his source?

Latest resources

Back