Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aucfi

Endowed Member
What exactly is this? Few of the students have asked and I have never seen one (that i know of). Could it be the same as the equipment list? Thanks.

Are you asking about a pilot certificate? Air Carrier (Part 135) certificate? What area are your students asking about??

JAFI

Are you talking about the aircraft type certificate? Most planes are Day/Night VFR/IFR, but I've seen experimentals and restored J-3's with Day/VFR only authorization. A lot of 150's and 152's are Day/Night VFR, even though they are equipped with full panels.

referencing AC 91-67 about MEL requirements for GA aircraft. The flow chart at the bottom describes if certain equipment is required by serval things, one reads, "If NO, is the equipment required for the VFR-day type certificate requirements prescribed in the airworthiness certification regulations? (FAR 91.213 d (2) ii)"

91.213 d (2) ii reads
"Indicated as required on the aircraft's equipment list, or on the Kinds of Operations Equipment List for the kind of flight operation being conducted;"

So is the VFR-day type cert the same as your required VFR instruments and equipment listed in 91.205 (b) or the aircrafts equipment list? Note this is for an aircraft that does not operate with a MEL.

aucfi said:
referencing AC 91-67 about MEL requirements for GA aircraft. The flow chart at the bottom describes if certain equipment is required by serval things, one reads, "If NO, is the equipment required for the VFR-day type certificate requirements prescribed in the airworthiness certification regulations? (FAR 91.213 d (2) ii)"

91.213 d (2) ii reads
"Indicated as required on the aircraft's equipment list, or on the Kinds of Operations Equipment List for the kind of flight operation being conducted;"

So is the VFR-day type cert the same as your required VFR instruments and equipment listed in 91.205 (b) or the aircrafts equipment list? Note this is for an aircraft that does not operate with a MEL.

First of all, you are talking about 91.213(d)(2)(i)...not (ii).
"Part of the VFR Day type certification instruments and equipment prescribed in the applicable airworthiness regulations under which the aircraft was type certificated."

This means any equipment that was required by regulations on the day the airplane was certified airworthy. For instance, when I started flying, a shoulder harness was not required equipment. Any airplane certified before the shoulder harness regulation does not have to have one.

The best place to find that information for your airplane is on the Type Certificate Data Sheet - TCDS. The word *sheet* is misleading, since it is a book. A book with all the equipment required by regulation on that airplane. The owner has it. Most maintainence shops have them. They contain all the necessary parts descriptions to replace on the airplane.

I think of it as the naked basic airplane able to fly a test flight from the factory. No paint. One seat. One set of controls. no heater, etc. All thos things are added in the POH. That's the next item in 91.213. the (ii).
Then you look at the instruments required in 91.205 (that's iii) which are not actually required by (i), they are added to enhance safety by (iii).

The TCDS is the birth certificate for the aircraft type; it's the authority for the airplane to be made, and the essence of the airplane. The TCDS specifies the particulars of the aircraft, including it's approvals.

One might consider a TCDS that is only approved for day VFR operations to be a "day vfr type certificate," but in reality there is no such thing as a day vfr TCDS, even though the type certificate may have only that authorization. One may call it such, but it's still just a type certifictate.

Thanks nosehair, avbug, & gern_blanston. I was not clear on this myself until now. Hard to understand what exactly this was without never seeing one. I did find the FAAs database containing the TCDS and have looked up several of the aircraft I have flown. Thanks again, much appreciated.

AU

Latest resources

Back