Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

vent: whazzup with ATC chewing my rear all the time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

huncowboy

This is for that 1%.

It is not like you dudes never make a mistake! I can't even recall how many times ATC screwed up around me, and at the end I was still the one who ended up apologizing to save lengthy explanations, just to avoid arguments, in one word just so I can try to come through "professional".

I have no problem standing up when I f up but it does get old when I got nothing to do with it.

I don't have thousands of hours, but I can already recall several occasions when I got almost vectored into someone and that someone wasn't an ultralight w/o transponder and yes it was under radar contact. Still I never started to act like a dick, although we were about 5-10 sec away from going down. For some, that sounds like a good reason to show up with a shotgun.

Today I missed a heading assignment with Miami Approach working 125.5 around 5PM, and the dude chews my ass and denies us more than one approach. No problem I understand when it is busy, happens all the time. But then his relief, who manned the position a few minutes later, had no problems vectoring us for 2 more while being totally professional and super nice. So I guess it wasn't that busy after all, it was more of an attitude problem.

I am wondering weather that dude at MIA APP @ 125.5 realized that we are not doing that TMB NDB 9R practice approach for the scenery.

Well, me and my student, we sure hope this somehow gets to you as we are very concerned about you not being able to find your head in your a_ss. At least it is warm and quiet there, no need to talk to anyone.

Finally, I have never heard this voice an MIA APP (125.5) before, so for the rest of you SE FL ATC, incl MIA APP who are always trying to help us out and stay calm... this wasn't meant for you.

now I feel better...

I think it was one twenty... something or other.

Seriously, some guys are just a-holes. You just deal with it and move on. As long as he didn't give you a phone number to call, it's all good.

-Goose

If you were really upset about the situation and wanted to affect a change, ask the controller for the facility phone number. After things have cooled down on the ground, have a chat with the supervisor and let him know that the controller in question was unprofessional with you over the radio. Be sure to note the frequency and time of the conversation in question.
The supervisor might pull the tapes and review the exchange and bring it to the attention of the controller. Keep in mind, certain phone lines to ATC facilities are recorded, so keep your conversations with those folks professional as well. I've also heard that it might be a good idea to introduce yourself as "the pilot of N12345" as opposed to giving your name.
In all likelihood, your controller was getting frustrated with multiple issues and your absence of a heading read back was the "last straw" in his mind. Things like this happen from time to time, but are no excuse for verbal abuse or unprofessional conduct over the radio.

Stepclimb said:
If you were really upset about the situation and wanted to affect a change, ask the controller for the facility phone number.

I was just about to suggest the same thing. Talking to the head controller is a great way to bring issues to the tower/app con attention on things that need to be addressed. Case & point, in Tulsa, OK the director of the local tower would work out situations with the local cheifs due to the high volume of international training. In my case at Daytona Beach, FL later in my career, the appch controller was being an a$$. I asked him for the phone number and got it. I called the supervisor, and was asked to email him with the full details. The super pulled the tapes and resolved the issue. It was great. I felt justified, appreciated getting a timely response and was happy with being able to talk it over with someone in a position to do something about it.

I'd recommend getting in touch before the tapes are used again, if nothing else to just let the supervisor know that you're thinking about contacting them - can they pull the tape just in case you do want to address something...
good luck

I always found Miami to be very helpful. Try Dallas after a screw up sometime. Yikes!

Stepclimb said:
If you were really upset about the situation and wanted to affect a change, ask the controller for the facility phone number.
I second that. And also the part about not giving your name.

It's not very often YOU get to be the one asking ATC for their phone number!

I'm still an ammateur pilot, but the pilots I work with down here have always told me to shrug off garbage like that.

I've been called out before by controllers too. It is indeed embarresing, as well as something that can take a good flight and turn it sour for the pilot in command. I've never thought to ask for the controlling centers phone number, but I know I will do so whenever another controller decides to take his attitude out on me because he gave me a heading assignment soo fast that I didn't even know who he was talking to.

Don't let crap like that ruin your day. Everyone makes mistakes, but doesn't mean you have to be sorely inconvenienced by someone who wants to teach you a lesson.

You can always ask for the controllers initials. That will usually shut them up quickly, especially if you did not actually do anything wrong. They usually know what is coming next...If they continue on, ask them to mark the tape. I believe that gives them a mandatory 2-3 hour session with the supervisor watching them. Try to be nice and professional with the controllers, they are people too, but if they go too far, you can do something about it. Remember, they are there for people like you.

Try doing your job without them and see how far you get without smacking one of those ultralights. Yea everybody gets a little screwy once in a while but its life.

Latest resources

Back