Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AirMugsy said:
Yeah,
I actually just did this online course from NASA on icing, and they we're saying that with more modern systems, blowing the boots with the first sign of ice is recommended now instead of the old method of waiting for a buildup.

That may be true with new systems, but you have to make sure what you are flying. The 121 operator I work for now taught us in ground school to blow the boots at the first sign of ice, but then the seasoned captains at the company say that is incorrect. Just be sure of your equipment.

An ex-AMF pilot I used to know died in a C-208 a while back under similar circumstances, it seems to me that the Caravan is a most marginal aircraft in icing conditions. Any caravan pilots able to give us the real deal about this?

I have 200 hours in the Caravan, and I can tell you from personal experience, it is not a good ice airplane. Once in freezing rain and once in fast-building rime ice. Because of the thick wing and relatively slow airspeed, it seems to really want to hold on to the ice. The more ice you get, the slower it goes, and the harder it is to get rid of the ice. Scared me pretty good once. Just my personal experiences.

box

Latest resources

Back