Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FurloughedAgain

Cabin Heating & Air Tech.
Anybody have any suggestions for a little vacation with an infant?

I was thinking of taking a short vacation with the family in early 07. The baby will be around 8 or 9 months old at the time.

Cruises, all-inclusives, etc.

We're open to suggestions.

I travelled last month for the first time with my seventh month old....we did a short one hour flight. My best advice is to get a Sit N Stroll 5-in-1 travel system by Triple Play Products. Look for it at Babies R Us. It was $199.99 and worth every penny!!!!

A good stroller and car seat (or combination system) is essential. Don't skimp.

There are a thousand specific suggestions I could give you on this subject. But the bottom line is do not keep yourself from travelling just because you have an infant. Just go and figure it out.

I shared a sleeping bag at a campsite outside Vienna with my oldest son when he was 1 year old. We took our two sons to Malta when they were 3 and 1 -- my friends thought we were nuts, but it was one of the best trips we've ever taken. We went zip-lining in Costa Rica with our 3 kids when our youngest was not yet 4.

Don't let children stop you from travelling.

Kids are very resilient and adaptive. Your child will be fine. It will be harder on you and your spouse than on the kid.

But, just go.

Show your child the world from an early age, and have a great time.

Last edited:
Another important thing to remember when travelling with kids -- always try to make time for them to do what they like.

As adults, we tend to always try to jam as much into our vacations as possible -- trying to see or do as much as possible.

Even if you are in one of the great cities of the world, find a park and let your kids play for an hour or so -- it's a great time for you and your significant other to relax and maybe have a snack (and, of course, a couple of beers or some wine).

Even with a baby, some relaxing down time is as helpful to the child as to the parents.

I wouldn't cruise w/ a little one. Too much drinking going on and you'd miss
all the fun. Disney has always been our kids favorite. We try and bring our parents, so they can help out with the kids and give us a night out.

Lap Child

Try to pick a flight that is wide open. Even though you are taking the baby as a lap child, ask to take on the car seat! If the flight is wide open...most often they will let you. It makes all the difference in the world. I travel with a 4-year-old, 2-year-old, and most recently have traveled with my 3 month old (she has already been on 10 flights). I can help with any questions...we travel all the time.

pilots-wife said:
Try to pick a flight that is wide open. Even though you are taking the baby as a lap child, ask to take on the car seat! If the flight is wide open...most often they will let you. It makes all the difference in the world. I travel with a 4-year-old, 2-year-old, and most recently have traveled with my 3 month old (she has already been on 10 flights). I can help with any questions...we travel all the time.

I personally think the lap child thing is more than reckless..

Even in a minor accident your child will fly out of your hands and crash into the first solid thing it finds..

Everybody may walk off the plane while your child is fatally injured..

If you can afford a vacation you can afford a seat for your child..

I have three kids and never once have they ever been a lap child..

pilots-wife said:

Your three month old on ten flights already? You need to write a book! I'm sure your wisdom is meant to be shared with the rest of us fraidy-cat travelers. Do you fly standby with all of your little ones?

Yes, we all go standby.

Of all the times we have flown, we have only had a problem once. I normally would not fly so much with the baby so little...but we had a family emergency and then we are going to relocate to my husband's base so he will be home more. We were on the house hunt.

Luckily I have not had too many flights with all 3...those are the hard ones.

I have learned many things (tricks) to make it easier. I am willing to help anyone with my knowledge.

And if you see a parent traveling solo with small kid(s) offer to give them a little assistance. It like herding cats sometimes. :)

Latest resources

Back