Vacating altitudes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

asolo

Alright, did a search and came up with only one thread that answered only one of my questions a few pilots and I are arguing. According to AIM 5-3-3 you are supposed to "At all times report vacating a previously assigned altitude for a newly assigned altitude." By the thread I just read (by using the "search"), It sounds like everyone aggrees that you should report leaving your altitude when given a PD..right? How about a crossing restriction (i.e.-35 mi out at 10K)? Are you going to report that too? Logic would tell me yes, but I never have. I've always considered it courtious to the controller if I do though. What do you guys/gals think?

You're not required to report vacating the altitude on a PD, or when the clearance involves a crossing restriction. I generally do as it's a profesional courtesy, provided the frequency isn't too congested.

avbug said:
You're not required to report vacating the altitude on a PD, or when the clearance involves a crossing restriction. I generally do as it's a profesional courtesy, provided the frequency isn't too congested.

Reference?

The reference is that there is no reference. When you are not required to do something, you won't find a reference saying it's not required. The absence of any reference requiring you to do it is your reference.

There are, of course exceptions. On the initial call (such as changing control sectors or frequencies, you should include your actions such as descending, and the altitude you're vacating. A proper courtesy would be XXX Center, XXXY Five thousand, climbing one zero thousand. This includes all the relevant information.

The AIM provides guidance as to what you should do, vs. what you are required to do. It is not regulatory, but represents a collation of regulatory items and material from advisory circulars and and other official publications.

AIM5-3-1
2. The following phraseology should be utilized by pilots for establishing contact with the designated facility:
(a) When operating in a radar environment: On initial contact, the pilot should inform the controller of the aircraft's assigned altitude preceded by the words "level," or "climbing to," or "descending to," as appropriate; and the aircraft's present vacating altitude, if applicable.

Skipping ahead, we visit AIM 5-3-3, which provides additional reports in addition to the initial call up specified above, and position reporting in a non-radar environment. Again, frequency congestion determines w(h)eather these calls should be made. Tying up an already busy frequency with a courtesy call that you're vacating an assigned altitude when you're in radar contact and the controller can see you vacating the altitude is wasteful, discourteous, and a safety hazard.

AIM 5-3-3. Additional Reports
a. The following reports should be made to ATC or FSS facilities without a specific ATC request:
1. At all times.
(a) When vacating any previously assigned altitude or flight level for a newly assigned altitude or flight level.
(b) When an altitude change will be made if operating on a clearance specifying VFR-on-top.
(c) When unable to climb/descend at a rate of a least 500 feet per minute.
(d) When approach has been missed. (Request clearance for specific action; i.e., to alternative airport, another approach, etc.)
(e) Change in the average true airspeed (at cruising altitude) when it varies by 5 percent or 10 knots (whichever is greater) from that filed in the flight plan.
(f) The time and altitude or flight level upon reaching a holding fix or point to which cleared.
(g) When leaving any assigned holding fix or point.

This same laundry list will be found in Chapter 10 of the Instrument Flying Handbook (FAA-H-8083-15).

ATC may predicate altitude assignments under some circumstances upon reports of vacating an altitude. In such cases, timely and accurate reporting is important.

avbug said:
a. The following reports should be made to ATC or FSS facilities without a specific ATC request:
1. At all times.
(a) When vacating any previously assigned altitude or flight level for a newly assigned altitude or flight level.

That reference to me says that you should always report leaving your altitude with either PD or a crossing restriction, a habit I follow almost without exception. Examples of exceptions are like you say, when I hear the controller talking all the time and don't hear anyone that he's talking to, meaning he's probably working several sectors and the other ones are busy and I don't want to risk stepping on someone on another frequency.

However, if I can hear everyone that he's talking to I'll assume that he's only doing my sector and I'll use good judgment based on my awareness of what other guys are doing and when I think I can step in and say something without interfering even if it is busy. Sometimes though, it's just not practical period.

Mee too. I have always understood that AIM reference to mean reporting leaving an altitude. Period. I don't see any conditions tacked on there, just a period. So, the comprehension of that statement is: at all times. There are no exceptions.

Now, since radar has taken the urgency out of these reports, ATC does not reprimand you for not doing it, and maybe they don't want you to bother them with this "unneeded" report, but, as I see it, it is still required.

And...since I know we all (me, and the controllers) make an occasional mistake, I consider it a safe practice to report when I vacate, especially on a PD.

nosehair said:
Now, since radar has taken the urgency out of these reports, ATC does not reprimand you for not doing it, and maybe they don't want you to bother them with this "unneeded" report, but, as I see it, it is still required.

Nope, this is a fallacy, radar has *not* taken the urgency out of it, and they do *not* view it as unneeded. Read Don Brown's columns on Avweb for a very good explanation of why it makes thier job harder if you skip it. these things are not always obvious from the pilot side of things, and assuming that it's not neede because they have us on radar is incorrect.

avbug said:
The AIM provides guidance as to what you should do, vs. what you are required to do. It is not regulatory, but represents a collation of regulatory items and material from advisory circulars and and other official publications.

I understand the distinction you're making, but I would like to know, in practice, if this argument has been persuasive to FSDO ops inspectors, administrative law judges, etc. I don't know.

I suspect, however, that practically speaking, if a failure to comply with the AIM "shoulds" resulted in an incident or accident, the evidence of your failure to comply with AIM guidance would bolster the "careless and reckless" case against you.

I just think too often we like to beat our chests about how the AIM isn't regulatory, which is true, but we are foolish to think we can't be violated for failure to comply with its guidance.

Is there a requirement or reference to advise controllers the aircrafts altitude when switching from one sector to another within the same facility.

For example, when Indy Center hands you off to another Indy center controller is a pilot required to state the aircrafts altitude?

Also, is there a difference between Center facilities and terminal facilities. IOW, is there a reference or a different one for terminal facilities.

Is there a requirement or reference to advise controllers the aircrafts altitude when switching from one sector to another within the same facility.

Handoffs should be reported, and when checking in, altitude should be part of that check-in. If switching controllers, the flight ID and altitude should always be stated. "Indy Center, BeeBop123 Flight Level Three Five Zero," or "Indy Center, BeeBop123 Flight Level Three Five Zero descending One Eight Zero."

AIM5-3-1
2. The following phraseology should be utilized by pilots for establishing contact with the designated facility:
(a) When operating in a radar environment: On initial contact, the pilot should inform the controller of the aircraft's assigned altitude preceded by the words "level," or "climbing to," or "descending to," as appropriate; and the aircraft's present vacating altitude, if applicable.

AIM 5-3-3. Additional Reports
1. At all times.
(b) When an altitude change will be made if operating on a clearance specifying VFR-on-top.

I just think too often we like to beat our chests about how the AIM isn't regulatory, which is true, but we are foolish to think we can't be violated for failure to comply with its guidance.

I'm not beating my chest about anything. In a congested radio environment, particularly in a radar environment, announcing vacating an altitude only contributes to the congestion. If there's space between transmissions available to make the report, do it. If it's going to present a problem, don't. Simple.

Latest resources

Back