• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

VA jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No we don't.Cathay is not on our list.They don't ride period. We have other FAR 129 carriers like Air Canada, Air Jamaica and LIAT. Cathay is not on the list.

They do ride period.

Call HQ and ask if you like.

I believe you are wrong my friend. As Corn Julio said, Cathay is not on our list of companies with reciprocal jumpseat agreements therefore they are not authorized as jumpseaters. In the FOM there is a link in the Jumpseat section to a list of all carriers approved to ride in the back and in the front. If you are doing your own thing, well, good luck with that. I'm all for helping a brother out but I'm not fighting this fight on my own. The company decides who rides for free, not me.

You know we are very open to reciprocal agreements. If we don't have one with Cathay or someone else, it's probably because they don't want one with us.

Fins is right at B6, cmrflyer is right at VX. At VX we have more personal latitude (at least for now) in offering a free ride to OAL employees. Notice I didn't use the JS word.

I wasn't in favor of giving Cathay the rides until I spoke with our JS guru. It was explained to me that while they weren't able to offer a reciprocal, VX employees traveling on Cathay were being well taken care of. While I may never travel on Cathay, I certainly want any of my fellow employees to be taken care of, so I play nice.

That is true, but we take them and so do airlines like jetblue.

I'm looking at JetBlue's jumpseat list, and Cathay is not on it, either. Cathay guys are the only foreign pilots who even try to jumpseat. Why? When you're hired by a foreign airline, you know you are losing the ability to jumpseat in the United States.

As for VX pilots being treated nicely on Cathay, why wouldn't they be? I'm sure VX treats ZED fare Cathay guys well, too. VX guys are not jumpseating, of course, as that's not allowed.

Work to make Cathay get an agreement like other (even foreign) airlines have, and jumpseaters will be welcome. Until then, pay for the cheap ticket.

That should not prevent one professional pilot from giving another professional pilot a ride to or from work. It is professional courtesy that should be extended regardless of formal agreements or union politics. That is my policy.

Warm welcome to all.

Happy to let them take a seat in back ANYTIME on my plane. ;) This is one small industry, you never know when you will need the favor returned. :D

edited due to the fact that I did not realize this became a B6 thread

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back