• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

V1 Rotate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Excellent posts here. Nothing more left to be said. As one poster noted, every company seems to have their own profiles, but our profile seems to be the one that is used most commonly.

Cleared for Takeoff: - PF pushes throttles up to pre-determined N1, PNF tweaks exact setting if needed. PNF announces: "Takeoff Power Set"

"Airspeeds Alive" - Once the airspeed numbers start showing.

"80 Knots" - PNF cross checks all engine instruments, checks annunciators.

"V1" - PF removes hand from power levers, Place on yoke. (Committed)

"Rotate" - Using both hands, pull back on yoke to set takeoff attitude.

"V2" - Nothing

- After Positive Rate: PNF then raises Landing Gear, engages Yaw Damp, and puts Flaps up at PF's command.

- Passing thru 1,000 feet: PNF then places his hands on the power levers to set the pre-determined Max Climb Thrust.

- After Max Climb Thrust is Set: PNF performs Climb Checklist.

At my former Pt. 121 carrier, we did not take our hands off the throttles at V1. We kept a hand at the throttles and guarded them from rolling back unintentionally, and also, in the event of a windshear encounter, your hand was there to push the power to max available. When first checking out as a new 727 FO, my line instructor beat it into me to always have a hand on the throttles at the lower altitudes. There really is no reason to have both hands on the yoke when you are the PF.

Fast forward 15 years. Now flying the Citation product. It took a long time to get into the habit of removing the hands at V1 to guard against "throttle snatch". Old habits are hard to break, especially when there was a good reason for them at the time.:rolleyes:

X

FlightSafety/Simuflite/Industry teaches V1, both hands on wheel and you "drive"

I have a personal habit also when I hear "cleared for takeoff" is check "engine gages (oil PSI and TEMP) --> Green Arcs" in addition to the standard takeoff roll call-outs

gear up at POS rate. Capt should be able to reach and physically feel the handle and put it up without taking eyes off his panel.

keep driving

if single pilot just "DRIVE" till 1000+ AGL then start pushing buttons and engaging stuff, make sure everything is stable first and away from ground

In the B-350 single pilot type ride, if you rotate and at 100 feet AGL look down for the Yaw Damp button, you are asking for a lecture by the check airman at the very minimum. Do that in solid IMC and you can get into trouble that close to the ground.

also, (not directly related to this thread but...) while the B-350 is FAA Single Pilot airplane, if you are asked to fly one single pilot with an INOP Autopilot, you are related to Chuck Yeager or much sharper than me (possible).....

I DO NOT recommend flying the 350 single pilot with no AP

later

Last edited:
One simple option which I like is at V1-5 knots or so, transition the hand from the top of the knobs and position it behind and below the levers in a distinct "push it up" position. Some guys literally rest their palms flat on the quadrant behind the levers and keep their fingertips at the bases. This makes an inadvertant post-V1 throttle snatchback very unlikely if not impossible, yet ensures the throttles will not retard uncommanded. The chances of a well-maintained authothrottle system sliding back once engaged are pretty much nil these days.

More food for thought - It is entirely possible to abort past V1 IF, for example, you are a lightweight domestic flight launching off a 13,000'+ JFK/ATL/DFW behemoth runway. Not saying it's smart, but sometimes new guys will insist that "It is IMPOSSIBLE to stop past V1." That statement is true only on a balanced field.

KeroseneSnorter said:
I have NEVER seen a 121 carrier that left hands on the throttles past V1. I have worked for 3 and jumpseated on most of the others......you will not see anybody keep hands on the levers past V1.

Every time I've jumpseated on an AA MD-80, the captain always kept his hands on the thrust levers past V1. I've always meant to ask when we reach 10K, but keep forgetting.

amaineiac said:
Every time I've jumpseated on an AA MD-80, the captain always kept his hands on the thrust levers past V1. I've always meant to ask when we reach 10K, but keep forgetting.

Yeah, well that crowd used to set the altimeters to zero out at field level too!!!

Thats what I hate about Russia....QFE and Meters!!! I bet the AA guys love it over there!! :)

(For the AA guy getting all fluffed up right now.....simmer down, it is in good fun. :) )

Pre-V1 is not the only factor in an abort decision. There are high-speed and low-speed aborts. Usually 121 carriers consider anything above 80 or 100 KTS a high speed abort and do not recommend aborting after this speed unless the captain feels flight is not possible. In my company the captain makes the decision to abort. After 80 or 100 KTS (lower than V1) it is considered safer to continue on and have the full length of the runway to stop, even though performance figures allow it. Keep in mind your aircraft is still producing thrust and accelerating even with an engine failure and a high speed abort is more likely to cause tire blow-outs, brake overheating, etc.

filejw said:
Razor,Some company's do use "Power" instead of "Thrust".

They do?

At least one major airline used to have a shrink as their VP of Flight Operations, too.

As long as we, the operators, understand that "power" is for props, and jets have "thrust", I suppose we can indulge them.

What does your airline use?

Latest resources

Back