• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

V-22 has compressor stall

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you blame Boeing when a Rolls Royce 777 engine has problems? Why would you blame Bell/Boeing when it's Rolls-Royce/Allison (T-406) engine has problems?

I think the V-22 will save many lives in the medical evac (dustoff) roll.

Oh and Paco, thanks for the input....now get back to mowing my lawn hombre.

PacoPollo said:
That thing is like the Space shuttle....I wouldnt ride on neither, not even for a green card!

If I had the authority I wouldn't let you on either. Even if you were in handcuffs going back south of the border! For all the racket you make here you're not so macho as you pretend! When I get the time travel machine up I will try to get you a ticket on the Titanic though, in steerage of course...hehehe!

I cannot believe all the naysayers here. The V-22 is a real technological challenge and will probably continue to have some issues. But condeming it over a compressor stall is b.s. It is machine that is doing things that nothing else can do and IMHO the concept is sound and has fantastic potential. Not tomorrow maybe but not too long from now either.

The Bell 47 was so unreliable at first when they went to demo it for the brass hats they towed it on a flatbed near the site and flew it about two miles, put on the show, flew back to the trailer and towed it home...and tore it apart to find out what had broken that time!

If you study anything about the test programs of the 40's-60's you know that there were all kinds of fatal events and that there were several programs that attempted what the V-22 is doing now that never got as far as this has.
If I am not mistaken the prototype F-14 crashed on it's first flight. The Blackhawk killed a bunch of people early on too. There were several F-111's and F-117s that crashed early on in their programs. All of have since proved themselves in combat.

The thing that I did notice is that the paper called it a turbofan engine. Shouldn't they have called it a turboshaft engine?

That airbus that cracked up on the demo flight a few years back-are you all afraid of them now too?

Last edited:
PacoPollo...I guess the name fits. Isn't Pollo spanish for chicken? So I guess your name translated into english is Paco the Chicken! How fitting! I am just glad we still have some aviators out there with some balls, otherwise we'd still be talking about how breaking the sound barrier is impossible.

WGP guy said:
Pretty interesting, they have a choice to auto-rotate it or to glide it, maybe both?

From what I hear, it's neither. But as someone else mentioned, either engine can drive both rotors.

There's a central transmission (if I remeber right) that both engines can supply power too... if one engine fails, power from the good engine drives both props. I'll ask a V-22 friend for more details...

The government should scratch that program. What a waste of taxpayers money.Same with the shuttle running on 1970's technology....

PacoPollo said:
The government should scratch that program. What a waste of taxpayers money.Same with the shuttle running on 1970's technology....

You mean this 70's technology? You're a model of educated opinions....

Latest resources

Back