Usmc Fac

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Buckatuna

I can only speak from the USMC side of the house. FACs are aviators who are assigned to a ground unit. What they do is coordinate close-air-support (CAS) missions. A FAC will find a target, draw up a 9-line brief, then give this brief to his CAS assets (ie cobras, hornets, harriers). The FAC will also provide a mark for the target, this can be laser, IR, arty, or mortars. As the CAS platform moves in to hit the target, the FAC has terminal control over the CAS dudes and will tell them what to do, ie "cleared hot", or "from the mark 500 meters north"...

A FAC(A), does the same thing, but only airborne.

Hope this helps.

Bucka

The above was in response to Delta3's question, sorry for posting a new thread, I thought I was replying. Being a Marine, I'm not too bright.

Thanks for the answer.

Wow, that looks like a huge responsibility, sort of like ATC for in theater operations.

Don't forget the collateral duties: Battalion Weight Control, MWR,Summary Court Martial, ACF, LOI generator. And my favorite was....CAX bus rental coordinator.

Semper Gumby

Don't degrade your intelligence

The above was in response to Delta3's question, sorry for posting a new thread, I thought I was replying. Being a Marine, I'm not too bright.

Don't degrade your intelligence. I hate to hear it when people say stuff like that. Story Musgrave was a marine, and that man is a genius, no two ways about it.

Keep em flying,
J.

Latest resources

Back