• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Usmc Fac

Buckatuna

Total Time
I can only speak from the USMC side of the house. FACs are aviators who are assigned to a ground unit. What they do is coordinate close-air-support (CAS) missions. A FAC will find a target, draw up a 9-line brief, then give this brief to his CAS assets (ie cobras, hornets, harriers). The FAC will also provide a mark for the target, this can be laser, IR, arty, or mortars. As the CAS platform moves in to hit the target, the FAC has terminal control over the CAS dudes and will tell them what to do, ie "cleared hot", or "from the mark 500 meters north"...

A FAC(A), does the same thing, but only airborne.

Hope this helps.

Bucka

Buckatuna

Total Time
The above was in response to Delta3's question, sorry for posting a new thread, I thought I was replying. Being a Marine, I'm not too bright.

Delta3

Total Time
x
Thanks for the answer.

Wow, that looks like a huge responsibility, sort of like ATC for in theater operations.

Yossarian

Total Time
--
Don't forget the collateral duties: Battalion Weight Control, MWR,Summary Court Martial, ACF, LOI generator. And my favorite was....CAX bus rental coordinator.

Semper Gumby

JBHewlett

AOPA & EAA Member
Total Time
280+
Don't degrade your intelligence

The above was in response to Delta3's question, sorry for posting a new thread, I thought I was replying. Being a Marine, I'm not too bright.

Don't degrade your intelligence. I hate to hear it when people say stuff like that. Story Musgrave was a marine, and that man is a genius, no two ways about it.

Keep em flying,
J.