Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Using unemployment insurance to get a type rating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

veneratio

I live in NJ and was wondering what is the process to apply for money (unmeployment) to get a type rating in order to get a job?

I cant speak for NJ, but when I was furloughed in 2002 in NC I got $4000 from the state. I went to the unemployment office with a bunch of proof how much the training would cost. At the time I didnt have any 737 time so I opted for getting my Citation rating. I did it at a place in Carlsbad, CA. I showed them how much it was and that it would be good to further my career in aviation. It took a couple or three meetings, but they gave me a billing sheet of paper that I gave to the training operation. They were on the list of training centers. It worked out great for me because I found some part time work that eventually led to another job at the same airport. I am happy and all is well. I hope it works for you. PM me if you have some more questions. I know other pilots that got $8000. I dont know what it is now. Good luck.

The Flip Side!

When my previous company went tits up in late 2002, I got funding through the old WIA program plus my unemployment. Had to make a case for it as indicated above and I got $14,000. Did a 737 type (on a 737NG in MCO) in 2 weeks from beginning to finish with no days off. Got the type but it made NO difference to the interview/job stakes. Only winner? The training organisations that raked it in.
Govt evenutally stopped the program when they found out the percentage of pilots that successfully completed various courses but were not offered interviews by the various companies operating these types. God Bless America!!!
No idea what is in place now, if anything. One thing is for sure, it does NOT gurantee you will even get an interview, let alone a job. I tried with currency on both 737 and 757s to only those companies that operated the type plus BBJ organisations. Not a single inteview in 16 months of unemployment. One guy who owned a ferry company and purported to be "always looking for enthusiastic, good pilots" told me "not to bother him"!! It would have been funny if it weren't for the fact that the sister company was the training organisation who galdly took the $14,000 and ran!
You draw your conclusions.
Since I was so tired of all the B.S. and back stabbing, I went oversesa and never looked back. I now fly with decent people and for a company that actually VALUES their employees. Geez, what a concept......:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back