Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
atlcrashpad said:
Sardaddy,

When I was in Balad, we heard that if an AF aircraft was fired upon, the crew was awarded an Air Medal. All USAF aircraft reported fire on final. If the Army did that, I'd be leaning to the left with all my Medals. But that's not the case for the Army.

That's an exaggeration, but I know the feeling. In AFSOC, we were told (by "them" so take that for what it's worth) that you wouldn't be eligible for a DFC unless you came under fire. Therefore, it seemed like a lot of enemy fire crept its way into award packages. And of course there were a handful of missions that were considered DFCs before you walked out the door. Do the job, get the medal. Kind of dumb, seeing as the whole point of AFSOC is planning your mission to sneak in, sneak out, at night, low level, etc etc and the hallmark of good flying and planning should be to NOT be fired on. But, as my squadron commander put it, "The bar's been lowered. Get used to it and get over it."

Disclaimer: I know of several DFC packages in AFSOC that are more than legit - the crews deserved them and more besides. Others, however....

And don't forget the B-1 crews who were awarded DFCs in a lightning quick fashion for supposedly killing Saddam. The medals, of course, were awarded before anyone found out Saddam wasn't really dead.

ck130: That post nicely sums up the job the CG helo drivers do just about every day. Well said.

Helo bubbas: even though the lawn dart drivers make fun of you (and you of them) when it comes down to it we have the utmost respect for what you do.

I could go on and on about the awards "system" in the CG but it wouldn't be worth your time reading. Suffice to say that sometimes folks get awards for public relations reasons and sometimes for true heroism. MOST CG aviators don't get nearly the number of awards they have earned (pilots and crews) so I learned to never begrudge anybody who finally did get one. Even if it wasn't for the hairest case they ever flew I knew that they had probably flown several cases that deserved recognition but went unnoticed. Hopefully it all evens out in 20.

FJ

Falconjet said:
ck130: Even if it wasn't for the hairest case they ever flew I knew that they had probably flown several cases that deserved recognition but went unnoticed. Hopefully it all evens out in 20.

FJ

Good way of looking at it.

Latest resources

Back