Uscg Medal Abuse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pistlpetet

A friend of mine is a helicopter pilot in the USCG based in New Orleans. After Hurricane Katrina, he told me that the leadership was reccomending everyone for DFC's. He thought it was a joke, since they were just doing their job, even it it was a demanding situation, pulling people out of the water.

Well months later, it seems that all DFC's were downgraded to Air Medals, but 4 people chosen at random were awarded DFC's in a big ceremony for the media.

Since when are DFC's given randomly, or almost as unit awards?

Criteria

The Distinguished Flying Cross may be awarded to military members who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces, distinguish themselves by heroism or outstanding achievement while participating in aerial flight. To be awarded for heroism the act must involve voluntary action in the face of danger and be well above the actions performed by others engaged in similar flight operations. If awarded for extraordinary achievement, it must have resulted in an accomplishment so exceptional and outstanding as to clearly set the individual apart from his or her comrades or from other persons in similar circumstances. Awards of the Distinguished Flying Cross by the Army are only made to recognize single acts of heroism or extraordinary achievement and not to recognize sustained operational activities against an armed enemy.

That is simply not the case. Indications I observed were all awards were being properly scrutinized and there is no systematic "inflation" taking place.

Although these crews probably deserved a DFC or at the very least an Air Medal for those missions, it is a shame that four were given at "random". The DFC is too high an award for this. I know a certain number of crews were "needed" to single out for special recognition for perhaps, PR reasons. But there are too many of our brothers out there from prior conflicts that shed blood or flew through extremely dangerous missions to be awarded this medal. I hope this precident doesn't cheapen the award. Just my 2 cents.

MaxTorque said:
That is simply not the case. Indications I observed were all awards were being properly scrutinized and there is no systematic "inflation" taking place.
\

Maybe in your unit. That doesn't seem to be the case where I'm from. Perhaps it's cause we've got more opportunities to earn them than some other commands or unit, though.

Pistlpetet said:
Since when are DFC's given randomly, or almost as unit awards?
Ever since CO's of ships have gotten the Legion of Merit for being ship
captains. My CO received the LM at his Change of Command. Compare
that to the list of US awards received by DDE ...
http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/DDE_Decorations_Awards_Service_Medals.htm

DDE received the Legion of Merit from Truman (I believe) for directing
the second world war.

Does this clue everyone in as to how watered down awards have become
in general?

Please don't read this as coming down on the aircrews who flew non-stop
for XX number of days pulling people off buildings or out of harm's way, it
does not. But the overall lowering of standards to receive certain medals,
or the very liberal interpretation of criteria, devalues the personal sacrifice
and effort involved to earn them.

One could call it "medal inflation."

How many units give out "transfer" awards? Too many. Instead of recognizing
the people during the tour they wait until they receive orders and basically
give them a going away present. Obviously that is not the case with the
hurricane related awards, I am speaking in general terms regarding the topic
at hand.

Last edited:
Well I haven't heard about those DFC's, but I can't say it really suprises me either. I'm with a LEDET, and we were some of the first security teams to be deployed to NO. The work that we did was quite significant yet wen't somewhat unnoticed it seems. We got thanks from the MSST down there and that's about it. What I'm getting at is some of the SAR Det's and station guys got a lot more credit and awards then we did. And to further illustrate this, I know of a SAR Det that when they returned from their deployment got issued CG Commendation Medals. Well a few months later the medals they had already recieved were taken away from them and their records and the recieved a lesser award. Seems to me like bad business to do that to someone, but considering what a mess and CF the whole deal was, I guess mistakes like that are bound to happen.

Pistlpetet,

What your friend may believe to be true and what is true are entirely different things. Please believe me when I tell you that these awards are being scrutinized more than any awards I have ever seen brought forward in my entire military career.

They are not being randomly given out to anyone. There were many pilots that did things that went well beyond what was already a difficult situation and would merit a DFC. There was noting arbitrary about the awards.

Last edited:
Sardaddy,
You can toe the party USCG line if you want. I am sure since my friend is in that Unit, he knows nothing about the truth (He is not suffering from Medal Envy either). He told me that he feels sorry for the guys who were chosen to get the medals, and that those guys have said they are not going wear the medal (At least what they say now). If they were scruntinized so "heavily", how come no Rescue Swimmer got a DFC for actually being lowered into the $hit?

A difficult and demanding time in the history of the CG and America, sure. However, extended ops doing your primary mission does not rate a DFC. There are plenty of guys in Iraq or Afg doing their primary mission everyday for a year.

Pistlpetet,

I toe no company or party line. Never have, never will.

I do know just about everyone in that unit so it is quite likely that I know your friend as well. And if I knew who it was, I would tell him the same thing I am telling you, unless he was on the awards board, he only knows rumors.

Why did no rescue swimmer receive a DFC? That may not be the case at all. Not all awards have been bestowed yet. Additionally, not everyone in the aircraft always receives the same award if they receive one at all. CG pilots actually receive very few awards for SAR cases. I know of rescues not related to Katrina where the only member of the crew to receive an award was the rescue swimmer. It all depends on the situation.

I also agree extended ops doing ones primary mission does not rate a DFC. As I said in my last post, there were some amazing things that happened that went above and beyond the norm of that operation and in my opinion, are deserving of a DFC.

As far as the ops in Afghanistan and Iraq go, I understand your point but many in the Army receive high awards for doing their primary mission. When I flew Apaches (did not fly in DS) the old joke in my unit right after Desert Storm was "what is the difference between a DFC and a commendation medal?"

...Three feet. Why that punch line? Because the RLOs in the front seat got DFCs while the PIC warrants in the back received ARCOMs if anything. They were all doing their primary mission of putting the bad guy's tanks out of commission.

Latest resources

Back