Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAPA's Illegal Job Action Causing Pilot Terminations.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not a problem, was just curious. the line that was posted, seems about the same as what we get with our lines, maybe a little worse actually.....

How was it worse?

Ask your East FO peers if they want to operate separately or combine lists. We both know the majority over there are perfectly happy to operate separately, even insisting it would be "unsafe" to do otherwise. If they are so sure they will get the DOH staple, why isn't everyone chomping to merge the groups? Because it isn't going to happen with DOH.

Also, the company might not pass fuel savings on to us, but rest assured they won't bat an eye at taking things away if they start losing money. Three engine taxi and keep thinking the company is going to blink at the negotiating table.

I'm sorry if I come across as combative. It isn't my nature or my intent, but I'm getting tired of the endless gamesmanship that appears to be USAPA operating mode. As long as they keep pushing the "we're going to take what ever we think is ours from whoever we please (ME)", then I'll continue to think they can pretty much piss off.

You're not combative, I've learned many things through a lively debate on FI.com. To be honest most of the pilots that I talk to would be very happy with separate ops for the obvious reasons. It wont happen though because all litigation has one thing in common...it eventually ends and when it does there will be a single list and I probably will have a captain who started flying many many years after I did. But, if for some strange reason the east ends up winning, the west pilots will own the whole operation in 10 years anyway so even if they lose they win.

Charlie how many active line pilots do you have on the east and what is the current fleet count?

this is from the july bid:

here is some info from the bid that just closed for July 2011.

total flying positions - 2660

total CA - 1231
total FO - 1429 (1377 filled)

open FO positions - 52

Breakdown [base:equipment - #ca/#fo]

CLT:767/757 - 61/92
CLT:A330 - 39/71
CLT:A319/320/321 - 363/358 and 14 open FO positions
CLT:737 - 150/150

DCA:A319/320/321 - 86/76 and 9 open FO positions
DCA:737 - 38/38 and 1 open FO position

PHL:767/757 - 103/145
PHL:A330 - 84/170
PHL:737 - 50/46
PHL:A319/320/321 - 179/172 and 5 open FO positions
PHL:E190 - 78/59 and 23 open FO positions

the fleet count is around 217 or 218 (202 boeing and airbus) and 15 e190's. The 190's do not count toward the min fleet. Min fleet on the east is something like 202 or 203 (boeing/airbus) which is about where we are now.

Last edited:
It is more efficient than other line building tools which equates to needing less pilots. But since (unfortunately) we are going to be in litigation for a year or two (the companies suit) and in negotiations for a year or two maybe when we start retiring in large amounts maybe PBS won't be a furlough generator. Maybe it would just slow our hiring a bit. Remember USAPA MUST do everything it can to preserve jobs.
It might be more efficient, but that is driven more by work rules than a bid preparation tool.

Stop reacting in fear of the unknown.

USAPA is doing all it can to preserve EAST jobs. That's why they are in the litigation they are in.

It might be more efficient, but that is driven more by work rules than a bid preparation tool.

Stop reacting in fear of the unknown.

USAPA is doing all it can to preserve EAST jobs. That's why they are in the litigation they are in.

Yes if there was any time to have a new thing that, according to USAPA, would result in fewer pilots would be during heavy attrition but that doesn't start for 18 months or so. I don't fear PBS and what I know about it has been through the postings on this board and I do want to learn more about it and will pass this to other eastinfections. That being said I have to rely on my elected reps to know about this kind of stuff and make decisions and if you read my earlier post with the NAC update, they believe that it would definitely mean furloughs.

Yes if there was any time to have a new thing that, according to USAPA, would result in fewer pilots would be during heavy attrition but that doesn't start for 18 months or so. I don't fear PBS and what I know about it has been through the postings on this board and I do want to learn more about it and will pass this to other eastinfections. That being said I have to rely on my elected reps to know about this kind of stuff and make decisions and if you read my earlier post with the NAC update, they believe that it would definitely mean furloughs.

Our PBS guru just read your NAC's update about the ongoing contract negotiations, including the inaccuracies about PBS. He will be posting a rebuttal in the next couple of days. If you don't get it through the normal USAPA emails, I'll post it here.

Back in 2000, we had a bunch of guys here, including union types, that also claimed we would furlough pilots once PBS was implemented. Guess what? We switched over to PBS and we didn't lose one pilot.

There's nothing about PBS that's intrinsically more efficient, it's just a tool to create a monthly schedule from individual trips rather than having to choose from company-created months. The programming that PBS follows is where efficiency may derive. For instance, PBS can be programmed to allow conflict bidding. Realistically no airline would allow for that but the point is PBS is an easier way for pilots to exercise their seniority to get the best possible schedule before having to deal with trip trading. That's the reason so many pilots prefer it to line-bidding.

this is from the july bid:

here is some info from the bid that just closed for July 2011.

total flying positions - 2660

total CA - 1231
total FO - 1429 (1377 filled)

open FO positions - 52

Breakdown [base:equipment - #ca/#fo]

CLT:767/757 - 61/92
CLT:A330 - 39/71
CLT:A319/320/321 - 363/358 and 14 open FO positions
CLT:737 - 150/150

DCA:A319/320/321 - 86/76 and 9 open FO positions
DCA:737 - 38/38 and 1 open FO position

PHL:767/757 - 103/145
PHL:A330 - 84/170
PHL:737 - 50/46
PHL:A319/320/321 - 179/172 and 5 open FO positions
PHL:E190 - 78/59 and 23 open FO positions

the fleet count is around 217 or 218 (202 boeing and airbus) and 15 e190's. The 190's do not count toward the min fleet. Min fleet on the east is something like 202 or 203 (boeing/airbus) which is about where we are now.

We have 1401 positions for the August Schedule. I think we have about 122 A/C. 11.5 pilots per A/C.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back