usapa-vote authorized-''thestreet'' -2/20/08

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

4defers

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Pilots at US Airways (LCC - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) are headed toward an election that could oust the Air Line Pilots Association as their union representative, in a particularly timely example of what can happen when there is no agreement on the seniority list in an airline merger.
On Tuesday, the National Mediation Board said it has authorized an election among the approximately 5,300 US Airways pilots. The board responded to an application filed by the US Airline Pilots Association that was supported by about 3,200 signature cards.
While the NMB has not yet set a date, an election could occur as soon as next month, said USAPA spokesman Scott Theuer.
"We are gratified to know that the US Airways pilots will finally be afforded an opportunity to select a new collective bargaining agent," said USAPA President Stephen Bradford, in a prepared statement. ALPA spokesman Peter Janhunen said the 76-year-old union remains the best solution for all US Airways pilots. He called the division in the pilot group "tragic" and said joint negotiations on a new contract offers the best outcome for all parties. "US Airways pilots are losing out" because their attention has been diverted, he said.

Lots of Pilots on these boards complain and complain and complain about ALPA....

Well...here's the result. ALPA could very well be gone from the ALPA stable...and the dues could go up for those that stay...just to keep the budget under control.

I understand why the US Air pilots are angry. For many of them their career has been one screw job after another. And perhaps their reps (that they voted for, if they PARTICIPATED in their elections) didn't do the best job.

But it wasn't "ALPA" that screwed them. It's time to move on. USAPA won't make things better for anyone, and will be a loss for the profession.

PLEASE don't let bitterness, anger, and disappointment interfere with logic when you vote on this important issue.

I wish all the best to the west and east guys. You are overdue for a break.

Turbo

I understand why the US Air pilots are angry. For many of them their career has been one screw job after another. And perhaps their reps (that they voted for, if they PARTICIPATED in their elections) didn't do the best job.

But it wasn't "ALPA" that screwed them. It's time to move on. USAPA won't make things better for anyone, and will be a loss for the profession.

PLEASE don't let bitterness, anger, and disappointment interfere with logic when you vote on this important issue.

I wish all the best to the west and east guys. You are overdue for a break.

Turbo

USAPA all the way!!!

I'm seeing the USAPA tags and bright yellow things on most all of the Airways guys in CLT.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this. It will be devastating to ALPA and raise dues for everyone I imagine. Guess the Airway guys are ready to see someone else take it up the ass for a change. Can't say I blame them. It's gonna hurt though.

Lots of Pilots on these boards complain and complain and complain about ALPA....

Well...here's the result. ALPA could very well be gone from the ALPA stable...and the dues could go up for those that stay...just to keep the budget under control.

Good. Because of age 65, I say fugem!!!

Got to love little regional guys drinking kool-aid. Like the new guys in a frat house....say something bad about them and they start to get upset.

I personally think that each airline should have their own internal unions such as SWA and AA. How can a huge union such as ALPA represent all these airlines that compete against each other and when merge treat each group fairly. Don't even start on the RJs at one company and screw the mainline who had jets on the route. ALPA is business that is all. They want the money....then let the chips fall. When is the last time since 9/11 has ALPA done something good for this industry with regards to all the airlines they represent.

Go for it USAIR guys....get your own in house and make your home the way you want it.

...and the dues could go up for those that stay...just to keep the budget under control.

Although I'm no ALPA fan, they will probably save a ton of money if US Air bails out.

I can only imagine how much money ALPA is dumping in to the campaign at US Air.

I personally think that each airline should have their own internal unions such as SWA and AA. How can a huge union such as ALPA represent all these airlines that compete against each other and when merge treat each group fairly. Don't even start on the RJs at one company and screw the mainline who had jets on the route
Well, since each ALPA airline COMPLETELY governs themselves, there is no conflict of interest. When the Airways MEC makes decisions, there is no "big ALPA man" who comes down from national and says, "no no, you can't do that....that would be bad for MESA". ALPA airlines already have their own internal unions...they just have a common logo.
When is the last time since 9/11 has ALPA done something good for this industry.
well, they give your union countless amounts of advice, which your "independent" union PAYS ALPA for.

How about the FFDO program, preventing Bush's attempts at foreign ownership and open skies, preventing the McCain-Lott bill that would have ELIMINATED our right to strike and decimated our profession, etc. I'm sure USAPA-PAC would have been able to conquer all of those challenges though.

Latest resources

Back